Beeville Post Office

Description

In 1857, Michael Seeligson was the first postmaster at Beeville-on the Medio (originally Medio Hill in Goliad County), five miles northeast of the present town of Beeville. In the new county seat after 1889, the Beeville Post Office was moved several times. Opened on June 5, 1918, the present neoclassical building was built under Secretary of the Treasury William G. McAdoo, with Supervising Architect James A. Wetmore. During construction, on May 7, 1917, contractor Robert B. Brown shot and killed Drayman J.P. Hermes. Found guilty of homicide in federal court, Brown appealed. In 1921, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell ... continued below

Physical Description

1 postcard : b&w ; 9 x 14 cm.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1918.

Context

This postcard is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2009 and was provided by Bee County Historical Commission to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 399 times , with 4 in the last month . More information about this postcard can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this postcard or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this postcard.

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this postcard as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this postcard useful in their work.

Provided By

Bee County Historical Commission

Bee County, located in the Rio Grande plain in South Central Texas, grew out of early settlement of the area by Irish and Mexican settlers. During the 19th century, the area relied on cattle ranching, an economic boon that continues to this day. In 1954 the U.S. Navy opened an all-jet base that is now known as Chase Naval Air Station in the county seat of Beeville. Bee County's history has been preserved through the work of the Commission as well as the Rescuing Texas History Project.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this postcard. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

In 1857, Michael Seeligson was the first postmaster at Beeville-on the Medio (originally Medio Hill in Goliad County), five miles northeast of the present town of Beeville. In the new county seat after 1889, the Beeville Post Office was moved several times. Opened on June 5, 1918, the present neoclassical building was built under Secretary of the Treasury William G. McAdoo, with Supervising Architect James A. Wetmore. During construction, on May 7, 1917, contractor Robert B. Brown shot and killed Drayman J.P. Hermes. Found guilty of homicide in federal court, Brown appealed. In 1921, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Homes ruled that Brown acted in self defense, thus establishing the right to stand one’s ground in federal law.
With the WWII boom and Chase Naval Air Field, the Beeville Post Office was upgraded to a first-class post office in 1944. Other changes followed, such as the end of mail contracts for the railroads in December of 1952. In 1961, the size of the building was doubled by the matched addition of the north half of the present structure. Much needed parking space was provided on the south side of the building in 1989. One block from the courthouse, this historic building and its postal services continue to be vital to the life of the town.

Physical Description

1 postcard : b&w ; 9 x 14 cm.

Subjects

Keyword

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this postcard in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This postcard is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2009

The 2009 edition of Rescuing Texas History brings together photographs, oral histories, artwork, letters, and more. The collection houses more than 5,000 items and gives a glimpse into the diverse people that have called Texas home over the years. Funding provided by the Summerleee Foundation.

What responsibilities do I have when using this postcard?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this postcard.

Creation Date

  • 1918

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • Feb. 20, 2010, 6:28 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Dec. 3, 2015, 11:41 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this postcard last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 4
Total Uses: 399

Where

Geographical information about where this postcard originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Postcard

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Start Viewing

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Beeville Post Office, postcard, 1918; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78741/: accessed May 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Bee County Historical Commission.