A. C. Jones Home

Description

Postcard of the two-story Baroque architecture styled home of Mrs A. C. Jones located at 611 East Jones St. Philanthropist and supporter of local schools, Mrs. A.C. (Jane Field) Jones (1842-1918) built the house on this site after her husband Captain Jones’ death in 1906. Governors and other Texas leaders were welcomed here. Located on the hill where the college stands today, the first and much grander A.C. Jones home was sold to the John Flournoy and moved into town by mule and wagon. It stood facing Flournoy Park until it was razed in 1946.

Physical Description

1 postcard : b&w ; 8 x 14 cm.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. January 7, 1907.

Context

This postcard is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2009 and was provided by Bee County Historical Commission to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 103 times . More information about this postcard can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this postcard or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this postcard.

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this postcard as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this postcard useful in their work.

Provided By

Bee County Historical Commission

The Bee County Historical Commission provided local history materials for the Rescuing Texas History project. Images include local citizens, businesses, and homes.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this postcard. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Postcard of the two-story Baroque architecture styled home of Mrs A. C. Jones located at 611 East Jones St. Philanthropist and supporter of local schools, Mrs. A.C. (Jane Field) Jones (1842-1918) built the house on this site after her husband Captain Jones’ death in 1906. Governors and other Texas leaders were welcomed here. Located on the hill where the college stands today, the first and much grander A.C. Jones home was sold to the John Flournoy and moved into town by mule and wagon. It stood facing Flournoy Park until it was razed in 1946.

Physical Description

1 postcard : b&w ; 8 x 14 cm.

Subjects

Keyword

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this postcard in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This postcard is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2009

Rescuing Texas History 2009, presents local history materials from sixteen partners: Arlington Public Library & Fielder House, Austin History Center, Bee County Historical Commission, Dallas Municipal Archives, El Paso Public Library, French Legation Museum, Matthews Land & Cattle Company, LBJ Museum of San Marcos, Northeast Lakeview College, Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library & Hall of Fame, Port Arthur Public Library, River Valley Pioneer Museum, Stephen F. Austin Association, University of Texas at San Antonio, and University of Houston-Victoria Library. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this postcard?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this postcard.

Creation Date

  • January 7, 1907

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Feb. 20, 2010, 6:28 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Sept. 4, 2010, 9:35 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this postcard last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 103

Where

Geographical information about where this postcard originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Postcard

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Start Viewing

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

A. C. Jones Home, postcard, January 7, 1907; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78772/: accessed December 2, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Bee County Historical Commission.