Cotton Hauled by Mules in Oakville

Description

Photograph of James and Lee Crawford Brother's Freight Co. located in Oakville, Texas. In the foreground, loads of cotton are piled onto mule-drawn wagons. F. H. Church stands in front of the mules in the foreground. Three wagons are visible in front of wooden building. The driver of the first wagon is James Crawford. The photograph was taken at or near where Monroe Fink's office is now. If cotton was hauled to the coast for shipment, it came through Beeville.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm., on mat 27 x 24 cm.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1907.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2009 and was provided by Bee County Historical Commission to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 185 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Named Person

Person who is significant in some way to the content of this photograph. Additional names may appear in Subjects below.

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Bee County Historical Commission

Bee County, located in the Rio Grande plain in South Central Texas, grew out of the early settlement of the area by Irish and Mexican settlers and the 19th-century cattle ranching that continues to this day. Bee County's history has been preserved through the work of the Commission as well as the Rescuing Texas History Project.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of James and Lee Crawford Brother's Freight Co. located in Oakville, Texas. In the foreground, loads of cotton are piled onto mule-drawn wagons. F. H. Church stands in front of the mules in the foreground. Three wagons are visible in front of wooden building. The driver of the first wagon is James Crawford. The photograph was taken at or near where Monroe Fink's office is now. If cotton was hauled to the coast for shipment, it came through Beeville.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm., on mat 27 x 24 cm.

Subjects

Art and Architecture Thesaurus (Getty)

Keywords

Library of Congress Subject Headings

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2009

Photographs, oral histories, artwork, letters, and more. These more than 5,000 items give a glimpse into the diverse people that have called Texas home over the years. Funding provided by the Summerlee Foundation.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1907

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • Feb. 20, 2010, 6:28 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • June 27, 2010, 8:08 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 1
Total Uses: 185

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Start Viewing

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Cotton Hauled by Mules in Oakville, photograph, 1907; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78795/: accessed December 10, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Bee County Historical Commission.