American Legion Post 818 and Lymas Langley, Jr.

Description

Photograph of commander Lymas Langley Jr. burning the note for Legion Hall Post 818. American Legion Post 818 was named for an African-American man, Charles Major Lytle, who was killed while in defense of his country in World War II. The late Judge James R. Dougherty, prominent Beeville attorney, oil producer and philanthropist, donated several lots on which to build a Legion Post Hall. He also donated some money to help pay for the construction work. The post was completed in 1952 on West Hefferman St. The members sold barbecue dinners and paid out the indebtedness. The post was organized ...

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. Creation Date: Unknown.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2009 and was provided by Bee County Historical Commission to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 264 times , with 13 in the last month . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Named Person

Person who is significant in some way to the content of this photograph. Additional names may appear in Subjects below.

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Bee County Historical Commission

The Bee County Historical Commission provided local history materials for the Rescuing Texas History project. Images include local citizens, businesses, and homes.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of commander Lymas Langley Jr. burning the note for Legion Hall Post 818. American Legion Post 818 was named for an African-American man, Charles Major Lytle, who was killed while in defense of his country in World War II. The late Judge James R. Dougherty, prominent Beeville attorney, oil producer and philanthropist, donated several lots on which to build a Legion Post Hall. He also donated some money to help pay for the construction work. The post was completed in 1952 on West Hefferman St. The members sold barbecue dinners and paid out the indebtedness. The post was organized in 1946 with sixteen charter members. Lymas Langley Jr. as the first commander. Son of noted cowboy, Lymas Langley, Sr., Lymas Langley, Jr. was also a charter member of the Board of Community Council in 1965. He, along with George Hodges and Willie Walker, were in charge of the 1925 "Juneteenth" celebration, and he operated a restaurant on West Corpus Christi St. After Langley died in 1971, Camp Ezell, in his book The Historical Story of Beeville, Texas noted that Lymas Langley, Jr. was the most effective peacemaker of Bee County and the seeds of wisdom, understanding and kindness he instilled in whites, blacks, and people with Spanish surnames will live indefinitely.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Subjects

Keyword

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2009

Rescuing Texas History 2009, presents local history materials from sixteen partners: Arlington Public Library & Fielder House, Austin History Center, Bee County Historical Commission, Dallas Municipal Archives, El Paso Public Library, French Legation Museum, Matthews Land & Cattle Company, LBJ Museum of San Marcos, Northeast Lakeview College, Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library & Hall of Fame, Port Arthur Public Library, River Valley Pioneer Museum, Stephen F. Austin Association, University of Texas at San Antonio, and University of Houston-Victoria Library. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Dates

  • This photograph's creation, acceptance, or submission date is unknown.

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Feb. 20, 2010, 6:28 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • May 12, 2014, 2:15 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 13
Total Uses: 264

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Start Viewing

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

American Legion Post 818 and Lymas Langley, Jr., photograph, Date Unknown; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78803/: accessed August 29, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Bee County Historical Commission.