Santos Jaramillo at Viva Downs, Beeville, Texas 1974 Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Santos Jaramillo at Viva Downs, Beeville, Texas 1974
- Creation: 1974-06-23
- Content Description: Two photographs of Viva downs in Beeville, Texas. The top photograph is of two horses on the race track. In the bottom photograph, the winning horse, Zipolo Honey, and his jockey stand beside the horse's owner Santos Jaramillo along with the horse trainers, Pancho Garza and Pete de Luna. In 1937, Santos Jaramillo started Jaramillo Cattle hauling with a bob-tailed truck. He soon had a fleet of big cattle trailers, taking cattle to market from ranches all over South Texas, and even by ferry from St. Joseph Island. After WWII, the railroad’s agricultural customers began to see the advantages of shipping by truck. While shipping by rail was less expensive, trucking was faster. Without the regulations of having to stop to feed and water the cattle, the truckers took cattle from the ranch to market in half the time.
- Physical Description: 1 photograph : b&w ; 24 x 19 cm., on mat 31 x 26 cm.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Bee County (Tex.)
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Sports and Recreation - Riding - Horses
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Agriculture - Domestic Animals - Horses
- Keyword: jockeys
- Named Person: Jaramillo, Santos
- Keyword: Railroad
- Keyword: Viva Downs
- Named Person: Garza, Pancho
- Item is a Primary Source
- Place Name: United States - Texas - Bee County
- Coverage Date: 1974-06-23
Name: Rescuing Texas History, 2009Code: SG09
Name: Bee County Historical CommissionCode: BEHC
- Accession or Local Control No: BEHC_b001-134
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metapth78815
- Digital Preservation: creationAppName: Adobe Photoshop creationAppVersion: CS creationHardware: Epson Perfection 4990 Photo