Bee County Courthouse 1912

Description

Photograph of the Bee County Courthouse built in 1912, and located on the courthouse square at 105 W. Corpus Christi St. Lady Justice, who stands atop the clock dome was designed W.C. Stephenson. Mr. Stephenson and F.W. Heldenfels, both local architets, built the courthouse. Four Corinthian columns grace its north entrance. A south annex was added in 1942. The courthouse was completely remodeled in 1949-1950, when an elevator, air-conditioning and eleven rooms were added with Robert Beasley as the architect. In 2006 during another large scale restoration, features original to the courthouse, such as the rotunda and district court balcony, ...

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. Creation Date: Unknown.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2009 and was provided by Bee County Historical Commission to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 149 times , with 4 in the last month . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Bee County Historical Commission

The Bee County Historical Commission provided local history materials for the Rescuing Texas History project. Images include local citizens, businesses, and homes.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of the Bee County Courthouse built in 1912, and located on the courthouse square at 105 W. Corpus Christi St. Lady Justice, who stands atop the clock dome was designed W.C. Stephenson. Mr. Stephenson and F.W. Heldenfels, both local architets, built the courthouse. Four Corinthian columns grace its north entrance. A south annex was added in 1942. The courthouse was completely remodeled in 1949-1950, when an elevator, air-conditioning and eleven rooms were added with Robert Beasley as the architect. In 2006 during another large scale restoration, features original to the courthouse, such as the rotunda and district court balcony, as well as the details of the tile and marble, were carefully restored. Recorded as a Texas Historic Landmark in 2000, the courthouse is part of the Texas Historical Courthouse Preservation Program, and is on the National Register.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2009

Rescuing Texas History 2009, presents local history materials from sixteen partners: Arlington Public Library & Fielder House, Austin History Center, Bee County Historical Commission, Dallas Municipal Archives, El Paso Public Library, French Legation Museum, Matthews Land & Cattle Company, LBJ Museum of San Marcos, Northeast Lakeview College, Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library & Hall of Fame, Port Arthur Public Library, River Valley Pioneer Museum, Stephen F. Austin Association, University of Texas at San Antonio, and University of Houston-Victoria Library. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Dates

  • This photograph's creation, acceptance, or submission date is unknown.

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Feb. 20, 2010, 6:28 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Aug. 29, 2010, 7:35 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 4
Total Uses: 149

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Start Viewing

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Bee County Courthouse 1912, photograph, Date Unknown; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78868/: accessed July 30, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Bee County Historical Commission.