Bee County Courthouse, 1912

Description

Postcard showing the Bee County Courthouse built in 1912. The Bee County Courthouse was built in 1912 by local architects W.C. Stephenson and F.W. Heldenfels. It is the county’s fourth courthouse. Recorded as a Texas Historical Landmark in 2000, the county courthouse is part of the Texas historical Courthouse Preservation Program. In 2006, after a large scale restoration, a rededication ceremony took place. Features original to the courthouse, such as the rotuda and district court balcony, as well as the details of the tile and marble, were carefully restored. After being repaired and regilded, Lady Justice was returned to the ...

Physical Description

1 postcard : col. ; 9 x 13 cm.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. Creation Date: Unknown.

Context

This postcard is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2009 and was provided by Bee County Historical Commission to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 139 times . More information about this postcard can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this postcard or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this postcard.

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this postcard as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this postcard useful in their work.

Provided By

Bee County Historical Commission

The Bee County Historical Commission provided local history materials for the Rescuing Texas History project. Images include local citizens, businesses, and homes.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this postcard. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Postcard showing the Bee County Courthouse built in 1912. The Bee County Courthouse was built in 1912 by local architects W.C. Stephenson and F.W. Heldenfels. It is the county’s fourth courthouse. Recorded as a Texas Historical Landmark in 2000, the county courthouse is part of the Texas historical Courthouse Preservation Program. In 2006, after a large scale restoration, a rededication ceremony took place. Features original to the courthouse, such as the rotuda and district court balcony, as well as the details of the tile and marble, were carefully restored. After being repaired and regilded, Lady Justice was returned to the top of the courthouse in 2005. Unlike most representations of Justice, this lady reigns from her top-of-dome perch, not with a blindfold, but with her eyes open. W.C. Stephenson sculpted Lady Justice. The Courthouse is also on the National Register, and is located on the courthouse square which borders Washington, Houston, Corpus Christi, and St Marys Streets.

Physical Description

1 postcard : col. ; 9 x 13 cm.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this postcard in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This postcard is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2009

Rescuing Texas History 2009, presents local history materials from sixteen partners: Arlington Public Library & Fielder House, Austin History Center, Bee County Historical Commission, Dallas Municipal Archives, El Paso Public Library, French Legation Museum, Matthews Land & Cattle Company, LBJ Museum of San Marcos, Northeast Lakeview College, Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library & Hall of Fame, Port Arthur Public Library, River Valley Pioneer Museum, Stephen F. Austin Association, University of Texas at San Antonio, and University of Houston-Victoria Library. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this postcard?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this postcard.

Dates

  • This postcard's creation, acceptance, or submission date is unknown.

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Feb. 20, 2010, 6:28 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Aug. 29, 2010, 7:27 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this postcard last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 139

Where

Geographical information about where this postcard originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Postcard

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Start Viewing

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Bee County Courthouse, 1912, postcard, Date Unknown; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78874/: accessed December 7, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Bee County Historical Commission.