[Demolition of Mary Gates Hospital and Municipal Building]

Description

Photograph of the demolition of Mary Gates Hospital and Municipal Building. The building is partially intact with debris surrounding it. In the background, there is a crane. The building was constructed in 1909 by John W. Gates as a memorial for his mother, Mary Gates. It was used as a Municipal Building after 1930, when a new hospital was built on Ninth Avenue by the Sisters of the Incarnate Word.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 27 x 22 cm.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. August 1, 1970.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2009 and was provided by Port Arthur Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 189 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Port Arthur Public Library

Port Arthur Public Library contributes its collection of photographs of Port Arthur as well as an extensive collection of yearbooks from four Port Arthur high schools.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of the demolition of Mary Gates Hospital and Municipal Building. The building is partially intact with debris surrounding it. In the background, there is a crane. The building was constructed in 1909 by John W. Gates as a memorial for his mother, Mary Gates. It was used as a Municipal Building after 1930, when a new hospital was built on Ninth Avenue by the Sisters of the Incarnate Word.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 27 x 22 cm.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2009

The 2009 edition of Rescuing Texas History brings together photographs, oral histories, artwork, letters, and more. The collection houses more than 5,000 items and gives a glimpse into the diverse people that have called Texas home over the years. Funding provided by the Summerleee Foundation.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • August 1, 1970

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Feb. 20, 2010, 6:28 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 2
Total Uses: 189

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Start Viewing

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

[Demolition of Mary Gates Hospital and Municipal Building], photograph, August 1, 1970; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth79459/: accessed January 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Port Arthur Public Library.