[Mary Gates Memorial Hospital]

Description

Photograph of a building identified as Mary Gates Memorial Hospital on Dallas Avenue and Lakeshore Drive. The building is three stories high, and a flight of stairs leads to the entrance. One woman is standing at the top of the stairs. Two people are standing to the side of the stairs on the ground. In front of the building, there are trees. The hospital was built by John W. Gates, in memory of his mother. It was later used as Port Arthur's City Hall, and then torn down in the 1970s.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 14 x 10 cm.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1909.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2009 and was provided by Port Arthur Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 155 times , with 5 in the last month . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Port Arthur Public Library

Port Arthur Public Library contributes its collection of photographs of Port Arthur as well as an extensive collection of yearbooks from four Port Arthur high schools.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of a building identified as Mary Gates Memorial Hospital on Dallas Avenue and Lakeshore Drive. The building is three stories high, and a flight of stairs leads to the entrance. One woman is standing at the top of the stairs. Two people are standing to the side of the stairs on the ground. In front of the building, there are trees. The hospital was built by John W. Gates, in memory of his mother. It was later used as Port Arthur's City Hall, and then torn down in the 1970s.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 14 x 10 cm.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2009

Rescuing Texas History 2009, presents local history materials from sixteen partners: Arlington Public Library & Fielder House, Austin History Center, Bee County Historical Commission, Dallas Municipal Archives, El Paso Public Library, French Legation Museum, Matthews Land & Cattle Company, LBJ Museum of San Marcos, Northeast Lakeview College, Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library & Hall of Fame, Port Arthur Public Library, River Valley Pioneer Museum, Stephen F. Austin Association, University of Texas at San Antonio, and University of Houston-Victoria Library. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1909

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Feb. 20, 2010, 6:28 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 5
Total Uses: 155

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Start Viewing

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

[Mary Gates Memorial Hospital], photograph, 1909; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth79618/: accessed December 4, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Port Arthur Public Library.