[Elongated, rectangular buckskin beaded Indian bag]

Description

Elongated, rectangular buckskin beaded Indian bag. Blue and white beads line all four edges. Directly next to the edge, but on the face of the purse is a row of green beads, four beads deep with a traditional Native American design using red, white and blue beads dividing the line of green beads. Purple and yellow quill work is in horizontal rows across the front of the purse. Yellow and beige decoration, believed to be made with porcupine quills, on front of purse. A string of yellow beads is used for the strap, and leather fringe is at bottom of ... continued below

Physical Description

Leather; Length/Circumference: 23, Width/Diameter: 10.7

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. Creation Date: Unknown.

Context

This physical object is part of the collection entitled: George Ranch Museum Collection and was provided by George Ranch Historical Park to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 59 times . More information about this object can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this physical object or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this object.

Provided By

George Ranch Historical Park

This 23,000-acre working ranch and living history museum are located in Fort Bend County. The land was originally settled in 1824 as part of the Austin Colony by Nancy and Henry Jones. The park's mission centers on preserving the history of the county and galvanizing the appreciation of cultural heritage.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this physical object. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Elongated, rectangular buckskin beaded Indian bag. Blue and white beads line all four edges. Directly next to the edge, but on the face of the purse is a row of green beads, four beads deep with a traditional Native American design using red, white and blue beads dividing the line of green beads. Purple and yellow quill work is in horizontal rows across the front of the purse. Yellow and beige decoration, believed to be made with porcupine quills, on front of purse. A string of yellow beads is used for the strap, and leather fringe is at bottom of purse.

Physical Description

Leather; Length/Circumference: 23, Width/Diameter: 10.7

Subjects

NMC Chenhalls

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this object in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This object is part of the following collection of related materials.

George Ranch Museum Collection

This 23,000-acre working ranch and living history museum was originally settled in 1824 as part of the Austin Colony by Nancy and Henry Jones. Materials focus on the Jones and George families and the traditional Texas pursuits of cattle, cotton, and oil.

What responsibilities do I have when using this physical object?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this physical object.

Dates

  • This object's creation, acceptance, or submission date is unknown.

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • Jan. 26, 2006, 10:26 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Jan. 10, 2012, 10:10 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this object last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 59

Where

Geographical information about where this physical object originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Physical Object

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

[Elongated, rectangular buckskin beaded Indian bag], physical object, Date Unknown; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth8349/: accessed June 24, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting George Ranch Historical Park.