SHSC Historical Marker Central National Road 1844

Description

Photograph of an SHSC (State Historical Survey Committee) marker commemorating the Central National Road started by the Republic of Texas in 1844. The road beagan at the mouth of the Elm Fork of the Trinity River, passed through Milam County and downtown Paris, Texas, where this marker is placed at Union Station west of the downtown area. Text of the marker reads: "Central National Road of the Republic of Texas. Designed as a military highway, intended to make linkage with United States military road built to the north of the Red River in the 1820's. This was part of the ... continued below

Physical Description

1 photograph : col.

Creation Information

Bell, Jim November 13, 2008.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Jim Bell Texas Architecture Photograph Collection and was provided by Private Collection of Jim Bell to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 186 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Private Collection of Jim Bell

Photographer and commercial contractor Jim Bell traveled throughout Texas photographing county courthouses, significant historical buildings and landmarks. His photographs include interior views, architectural details, and historical markers.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of an SHSC (State Historical Survey Committee) marker commemorating the Central National Road started by the Republic of Texas in 1844. The road beagan at the mouth of the Elm Fork of the Trinity River, passed through Milam County and downtown Paris, Texas, where this marker is placed at Union Station west of the downtown area.

Text of the marker reads: "Central National Road of the Republic of Texas.
Designed as a military highway, intended to make linkage with United States military road built to the north of the Red River in the 1820's.
This was part of the national effort of Republic of Texas to open a good road system. Congress in 1839 passed a bill for a road east from Washington-on-the-Brazos to the Sabine River; 1841 legislation called for a road from the Nueces to the Red River and another from Austin to Santa Fe, New Mexico.
The Central National Road was created in 1844, to reach from mouth of the Elm Fork on the Trinity to Kiomatia Crossing on the Red. It went down a main street in Paris, which was founded in 1844; near its south end was the 1841 John Neely Bryan home, around which the city of Dallas originated.
Major George W. Stell surveyed the 130-mile route. Plans called for a road 30 feet wide and a clear of tree stumps over 12 inches high. For each mile of road built (including bridges), grants of 160 acres of public lands were offered. Commissioners were Roland W. Box, Harrison county; James Bradshaw, Nacogdoches County; William M. Williams and Jason Wilson, Lamar County; John Yeary, Fannin County.
The route is roughly followed by later roads. (1968)"

Physical Description

1 photograph : col.

Language

Item Type

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Jim Bell Texas Architecture Photograph Collection

Photographs of historic Texas county courthouses and their surrounding buildings, as well as historic bridges, churches, and landmarks. The photographs are all in color and were taken from 1990 to the present.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • November 13, 2008

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 23, 2010, 8:26 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • May 9, 2011, 2:16 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 186

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Bell, Jim. SHSC Historical Marker Central National Road 1844, photograph, November 13, 2008; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth85150/: accessed November 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Private Collection of Jim Bell.