SHSC Historical Marker Central National Road 1844 Metadata

Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.

Title

  • Main Title SHSC Historical Marker Central National Road 1844

Creator

  • Photographer: Bell, Jim
    Creator Type: Personal

Date

  • Creation: 2008-11-13

Language

  • English

Description

  • Content Description: Photograph of an SHSC (State Historical Survey Committee) marker commemorating the Central National Road started by the Republic of Texas in 1844. The road beagan at the mouth of the Elm Fork of the Trinity River, passed through Milam County and downtown Paris, Texas, where this marker is placed at Union Station west of the downtown area. Text of the marker reads: "Central National Road of the Republic of Texas. Designed as a military highway, intended to make linkage with United States military road built to the north of the Red River in the 1820's. This was part of the national effort of Republic of Texas to open a good road system. Congress in 1839 passed a bill for a road east from Washington-on-the-Brazos to the Sabine River; 1841 legislation called for a road from the Nueces to the Red River and another from Austin to Santa Fe, New Mexico. The Central National Road was created in 1844, to reach from mouth of the Elm Fork on the Trinity to Kiomatia Crossing on the Red. It went down a main street in Paris, which was founded in 1844; near its south end was the 1841 John Neely Bryan home, around which the city of Dallas originated. Major George W. Stell surveyed the 130-mile route. Plans called for a road 30 feet wide and a clear of tree stumps over 12 inches high. For each mile of road built (including bridges), grants of 160 acres of public lands were offered. Commissioners were Roland W. Box, Harrison county; James Bradshaw, Nacogdoches County; William M. Williams and Jason Wilson, Lamar County; John Yeary, Fannin County. The route is roughly followed by later roads. (1968)"
  • Physical Description: 1 photograph : col.

Subject

  • University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Places - United States - Texas - Lamar County - Paris
  • University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Architecture - Landmarks
  • Keyword: SHSC markers
  • Keyword: early roads
  • Keyword: State Historical Survey Committee markers

Primary Source

  • Item is a Primary Source

Coverage

  • Place Name: United States - Texas - Lamar County - Paris
  • Time Period: mod-tim
  • Coverage Date: 2008-11-13

Collection

  • Name: Jim Bell Texas Architecture Photograph Collection
    Code: JBPC

Institution

  • Name: Private Collection of Jim Bell
    Code: PCJB

Resource Type

  • Photograph

Format

  • Image

Identifier

  • Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metapth85150

Note