The Age, Volume 25, Number 8, August 2002 Page: 1 of 2
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
VOLUME XXV WALLISVILLE, TEXAS AUGUST 2C02
Established at Houston, May 15, 1871 by
D.L. McGary. Moved to Wallisville March
15, 1897. Discontinued in 1908.
Reestablished by the Wallisville Heritage
Park, December 1,1979. $1.68 per paper;
$20.00 for one-year subscription.
Wallisville Heritage Park
P.O. Box 16
Wallisville, Texas 77597
(Continued from Last Month)
Last month’s issue of “The Age”
was devoted to historical materials on
the family of Elisha Henry Roberts
Wallis and his two wives, Sarah
" Sally” Barrow and Marths» Rhelton.
We also had brief histories of the
Wallis children. These were Rachel
Wallis Dunman, Martha Wallis White,
Eliza Wallis Stephenson, Julia Wallis
Swinney, Elisha W. Wallis and Sarah
Ann Wallis Jackson.
This particular issue will provide
similar information on Solomon
Barrow “Sol” Wallis and his brother
Daniel Boone “Dan" Wallis, who were
both sons of E H. R. Wallis and his
first wife Sally Barrow. We will also
offer biographical data on Francis
Marion and Hansel Roberts Wallis, the
sons of Mr. Wallis and his second wife
Martha Shelton. Finally, we will close
out this issue with some an historical
record that sheds some more light on
life at Wallis Hill.
SOL B. WALLIS
The second son to grace the
household of E.H. R. and Sarah Wallis
was named for his mother’s brother,
Solomon Barrow. The young fellow
was born January 28, 1829, five years
after the family had settled at present-
day Wallisville. In most of his
business transactions later he was
known as Sol. B. Wallis. After the
death of their father, Sol and his
brother Dan Wallis took some of the
inherited Wallis land and had the town
of Wallisville laid off in lots and blocks.
This was carried out in 1854 and lot
sales began soon thereafter.
Solomon was married in 1848 at
Galveston to Miss Sarah Labadie, one
of the three daughters born to Dr.
Nicholas D. Labadie and his first wife
Mary Norment. Sol and Sarah wound
up with the original family homesite at
Wallis Hill, built a two story home, and
raised their family there. The had the
following children: Julia, who married
E. J. Dunnam; Elisha Nicholas Or
Bud, who was married to Clara
Holmes; Laura Josephine, who
marneo James Lafayette Mixon; Alice,
who married Harman Platzer; Henry,
who married Clara Holmes, the widow
of his brother Elisha Nicholas; Rosa-
belle, better known as “Belle,” who
married John Murphy; and Norman
Wallis. Sol and Sarah also had two
young infant sons, Labadie and
William Wallis, who both died young
and were buried in Sarah’s rose
garden at the Wallis home
Sol Wallis was involved in many
aspects of Chambers County govern-
ment and served as postmaster at
Wallisville during the War Between the
States His wife, Sarah, died May 25,
1899. Sol Wallis passed away on
June 15, 1903. They are both buried
in unmarked graves in the Wallis Hill
DAN B. WALLIS
The next son, Daniel Boone Wallis,
was born at Wallis Hill on September
30, 1831 and was usually referred to
as Dan. He was only a young man of
comp twenty-three years when he and
his older brother, Sol, began selling
lots and blocks in the newly created
Wallisville Townsite in 1854.
Dan Wallis was married on April 9,
1856 to Miss Jerusha Louisa Kipp, a
daughter of Abraham H. Kipp. The
young couple eventually made their
home clown at Smith Point on family
property inherited from Dan’s father.
They had only one son, George
Neville Wallis, who was born in 1857
and was married in 1892 to his cousin
Lula Jackson, a daughter of John and
Sarah (Wallis) Jackson. Dan Wallis
held various county offices, but served
for many years as county surveyor of
Chambers County. He was holding
that position at the time of his death
on July 17, 1887. Jerusha outlived
him by many years and died in 1922.
Their son, George, passed away on
March 17, 1925.
Dan, Jerusha and George are all
buried in a small Wallis family
cemetery at Smith Point. Lula Wallis
moved to Houston in later years and
lived with her son Arthur Wallis. She
died June 2, 1942 and was buried in
Rosewood Cemetery near Humble.
FRANCIS MARION WALLIS
Francis Marion "Frank" Wallis, one
of two sons of E. H. R. Wallis and his
second wife Martha Shelton, was born
at Wallisville on September 29, 1843.
He enl sted April 15. 1862 in Company
F of DeBray's [26th] Texas Cavalry
Regiment and later was transferred to
Captain H. E. Bolton's Company I of
Cook's [1st] Texas Heavy Artillery at
Galveston. He was married after the
war to Elizabeth Belzora Speights. He
died in 1917. The couple had four
children: two sons. Carroll J. and W.
R. Walis; and two daughters. Lenora.
who married William Schroder, and
Olivia, who married Sam Sampson.
HANSEL ROBERTS WALLIS
Hansel Roberts "Robert" Wallis
was born January 15, 1846 at
Wallisville. He was the son of E H.R.
Wallis and his second wife Martha
Shelton. Shortly after turning 18 years
of age, Wallis enlisted in 1864 in
Captain H. L. Bolton's Company I of
Cook's [1st] Texas Heavy Artillery
Regiment. He served at Galveston in
the garrison at Battery Rodgers on
Fort Point and at Battery Jackson on
Pelican Spit. After the war, Wallis
returned home and was married in
1866 to Miss Mary Louise Kilgore.
After her death, Robert married
secondly in 1872 to Miss Sally Ann
Wooten [1851-1939], the daughter of
John and Mary Ann (Herring) Wooten.
H. R. Wallis died July 24, 1930 and
was buried in the Wallisville Cemet-
ery. Robert and Sally Wallis had the
following children: Eugene, who mar-
ried Minnie Lisle; Olive, who married
Dr. Amon R. "Amie" Shearer; Ray,
who never married; John Haywood,
who married Ina Velma Mayes;
Gertrude, who married Rufe Dutton;
Leola, who married Dr. John J.
Trichel; and Emmett, who died young.
NOTE: The following article, one of
the most interesting about the Wallis
family, was originally published in the
Wallisville newspaper, “The Age,"
sometime in 1898. Although that
actual issue did not survive, the editor
of the Liberty Vindicator, Mr. T. Jeff
Chambers, published the story in its
entirety in one of his weekly editions
on January 7, 1898. The information
contained in this story was based
upon an interview with Mrs. Rachel
(Wallis) Dunman and gives us a great
insight into the early pioneer days in
At the home of her son, M'. Ed.
Dunman, yesterday evening, the Age
had a pleasant chat with Mrs. Rachel
Dun.man, the only survivor of those
who were in this county when she
came here 74 years ago. Her lather,
Mr. E.H.R. Wallis, with his family, left
Natchitoches Parish, La. for Texas, in
December, 1824. At the Sabine? they
got small boats and went down that
river and up the Neches to where the
town of Beaumont is now. From there
they traveled with wagons and ox
teams to Liberty, reaching that town
Christmas Day. From there they came
down the Trinity and in the first week
of the year 1825, they reached and
located on what is known as Wallis
Hill, just east of Wallisville, and that is
now and has ever since been a Wallis'
home, it being at present the resi-
dence of Mr. Sol. Wallis, who was
born there 68 years ago. If there is
any other man or woman in Texas
living now where he or she was .born
68 years ago the Age would like to
know it. When Mrs. Dunman, then
Rachel Wallis, settled on Wallis Hill,
bears, wildcats, deer, turkeys and
wolves were quite abundant, but folks
were exceedingly scarce. Her nearest
neighbors were at Liberty, 30 miles
away, except two bachelors, Burney
and Arnold. Burney, while living, had
expressed a wish that when he died
he should be buried under a black
haw tree that he pointed out, and he
was buried there.
In 1827 Mr. Taylor White settled on
Turtle Bayou, and his descendants
live there now. His grandson, R. M.
White [Monroe White], is the leading
merchant, cattle raiser and dealer in
Chambers county. Just here it is well
to say that with Mr. Wallis came two of
Mrs. Wallis's brothers, Reuben and
Solomon Barrow; and the Barrows to
this day are numerous, prominent and
influential in this county. A few days
after they had got located, Mrs.
Dunman says some of the family, her-
self among the rest, concluded to go
down and take a nearer look at the
river, and though it was only a few
hundred yards distant they had to go
through such a dense jungle of wild
pea vines, that reaching the bank
proved a formidable undertaking.
Those pea vines, however, served an
excellent purpose. Nature produced
them in luxuriant abundance and they
were better than corn for fattening
hogs. In J 834, just ten years after
moving here with her father, Mrs.
Dunman was wedded to Mr. James T.
Dunman, and the young couple
settled on the Harris county side of
Cedar Bayou, but afterwards moved
to the Chambers county side, and
during the past 74 years she has
never had a home more than half a
day's ride from her girlhood home on
Wallis Hill. She raised eight sons, and
six of them were Confederate soldiers,
the youngest of the six being only 16
years old when he left home and went
away with the army. Two of her sons
were killed at [the battle of] Mansfield,
one shot dead on the field and the
other mortally wounded. Two crossed
the Mississippi with the [Terry's
Texas] Rangers, and one of them,
R.L. (Coon) Dunman, was twice
wounded. He still lives, wearing hon-
orable scars. Mr. Ed Dunman was
then a boy not is his teens and
probably did some pouting because
he too couldn't go soldiering. Mrs.
Dunman has now living six children.
The good woman is esteemed by all
who know her and revered by her own
descendants. She is well preserved in
both body and mind, reads and
threads a needle without the aid of
spectacles, is 82 years old, buoyant in
spirits as a girl and may reasonably
hope to live to be a hundred.
- Wallisville Age.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Wallisville Heritage Park (Organization). The Age, Volume 25, Number 8, August 2002, periodical, August 2002; Wallisville, Texas. (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth861606/m1/1/: accessed March 29, 2020), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Chambers County Library System.