[J.H.P. Davis in front of Davis house, standing on the shrub lined sidewalk]

Description

Photograph (with color added) of a white wooden two story house. The house is the J.H.P. Davis house with J.H.P. Davis standing on the shrub lined sidewalk that leads to the front steps of the house. The house has a first and second floor porch with white columns and railing. Dark painted shutters are found on most of the windows. Three fireplace chimneys are visible above the roof line of the house. The front door of the house is opened and a fence and wooden building can be seen through the hallway. There are trees and shrubs on the right ... continued below

Physical Description

Paper; Width/Diameter: 25.1 cm, Height: 20.3 cm

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1889.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: George Ranch Museum Collection and was provided by George Ranch Historical Park to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 86 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Provided By

George Ranch Historical Park

This 23,000-acre working ranch and living history museum are located in Fort Bend County. The land was originally settled in 1824 as part of the Austin Colony by Nancy and Henry Jones. The park's mission centers on preserving the history of the county and galvanizing the appreciation of cultural heritage.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph (with color added) of a white wooden two story house. The house is the J.H.P. Davis house with J.H.P. Davis standing on the shrub lined sidewalk that leads to the front steps of the house. The house has a first and second floor porch with white columns and railing. Dark painted shutters are found on most of the windows. Three fireplace chimneys are visible above the roof line of the house. The front door of the house is opened and a fence and wooden building can be seen through the hallway. There are trees and shrubs on the right and left of the photo; large bare tree in right foreground. Written in black ink at bottom of photograph: "Nurses' Home". When the Davis home was no longer occupied by the Davis family, it became a home for nurses of Polly Ryon Memorial Hospital and was used as such until about 1975. Reference material used for the description information was provided by "Internship Report Davis Complex Research/Planning George ranch Historical Park" by Michael R. Moore.

Physical Description

Paper; Width/Diameter: 25.1 cm, Height: 20.3 cm

Subjects

NMC Chenhalls

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

George Ranch Museum Collection

This 23,000-acre working ranch and living history museum was originally settled in 1824 as part of the Austin Colony by Nancy and Henry Jones. Materials focus on the Jones and George families and the traditional Texas pursuits of cattle, cotton, and oil.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1889

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • Jan. 26, 2006, 10:26 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • March 7, 2007, 4:12 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 86

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Help Map this Photograph

Tell us if you know the precise location of this item. In the lower-left corner of map below, select either the pin () or the box (). Use the cross-hair to drop a pin or drag to create a new rectangle. You can zoom in, expand to full screen, change the terrain type, or in some cases switch to street-view so that it's easy for you to determine the coordinates.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

[J.H.P. Davis in front of Davis house, standing on the shrub lined sidewalk], photograph, 1889; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth8740/: accessed September 23, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting George Ranch Historical Park.