Woldert's Map of Smith County, Texas

Description

Cadastral map of Smith County, Texas in the Piney Woods region. A notice regarding the creation of the map is included in the lower-left corner. Several features are noted including part of Henderson and Van Zandt Counties, as well as Houston Mound, located in the Sam Houston Survey. There is a patriotic drawing of an eagle holding an American flag at the top of the map. Scale ca. 1:133,334 (4000 varas per inch).

Physical Description

1 map : laminated ; 76 x 76 cm.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1905.

Context

This map is part of the collection entitled: GLO Historic County Maps and was provided by Texas General Land Office to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 1694 times , with 36 in the last month . More information about this map can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this map or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this map.

Compiler

Printer

  • August Gast & Co. "Aug. Gast Bank Note & Litho. Company Map Publishers, St. Louis."

Publisher

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this map as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this map useful in their work.

Provided By

Texas General Land Office

Established in 1837, the General Land Office consists of land grant records and maps dating to the 18th century relating to the passage of Texas public lands to private ownership. Still important to Texans because of their legal value, the materials are also now highly regarded by genealogists, historians, archeologists, and surveyors.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this map. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

  • Main Title: Woldert's Map of Smith County, Texas
  • Added Title: Smith County

Description

Cadastral map of Smith County, Texas in the Piney Woods region. A notice regarding the creation of the map is included in the lower-left corner. Several features are noted including part of Henderson and Van Zandt Counties, as well as Houston Mound, located in the Sam Houston Survey. There is a patriotic drawing of an eagle holding an American flag at the top of the map. Scale ca. 1:133,334 (4000 varas per inch).

Physical Description

1 map : laminated ; 76 x 76 cm.

Notes

Part of the County map collection.

Copyrighted by William Albert Woldert in 1905.
Presented to General Land Office March 12, 1916 by Will. A. Woldert, Tyler, Texas.

"Showing the original Land Grants made by the Republic and State of Texas, together with their correct Abstract Numbers, also Survey No's. W'm. C. Walker."

Subjects

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this map in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This map is part of the following collection of related materials.

GLO Historic County Maps

Maps from the 19th and 20th centuries showing original surveys, usually made via a land grant within a particular county in Texas. Formats include manuscripts, lithographs, some early photographs, and blueprints/bluelines.

What responsibilities do I have when using this map?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this map.

Creation Date

  • 1905

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • April 2, 2010, 3:48 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this map last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 36
Total Uses: 1,694

Where

Geographical information about where this map originated or about its content.

Publication Place

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • map marker Automatically generated Publication Place coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Map

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Purchase a Copy

Woldert's Map of Smith County, Texas, map, 1905; Tyler, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth88975/: accessed July 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas General Land Office.