Geography of Denton County Page: 83
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
diagonally across the southeastern corner of the county.
This road received no land subsidies from the state. It
was built after the legislature had passed an act repeal-
ing all laws granting land to railroad companies to build
in the state. The Constitution of 1876 repealed the
amendment made to the Constitution in November,
1872, which granted land subsidies to railroad com-
panies. Until the Fourteenth Legislature of April 22,
1847, the counties, towns, and cities were requested by
the state to vote bonds to the companies for the purpose
of building railroads. This would have been an awful
burden on the backs of the tax payers for the respective
counties had such a ruling remained in force. But in
April, 1874, the Legislature wiped out such an act, and
all responsibility for building railroads in Texas was
taken over by the state.
The land paid for Denton County railroads covers
an area equal to all of the county and three-fourths as
much again. This was indeed a great price.
Passenger bus lines have thirty busses passing through
Denton every twenty-four hours. The passenger bus
lines include Dixie Motor coaches, Texas-Oklahoma
stages, Mooney Motor coaches, and the Golden Eagle
Lines. There are two local intrastate and ten interstate
motor freight lines serving the county of Denton daily.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Cowling, Mary Jo. Geography of Denton County, book, 1936; Dallas, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth90885/m1/100/: accessed October 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.