Geography of Denton County Page: 4
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
GEOGRAPHY OF DENTON COUNTY
interest to Denton people to remember that among the
delegates who met in Washington, Texas, on this oc-
casion was one, Richard Ellis, of the Denton area, from
Red River County. Richard Ellis was made President
c the Secession Convention. His name is on the roster
signing for the Declaration of Texas Independence, and
on October 3, 1836 he met with the First Congress of
the Republic of Texas at Washington. The second Con-
gress subdivided the large Red River County. On
December 4, 1837, Fannin County was created and the
western boundary of the new county included Wise
and Montague Counties, areas west of Denton County.
Thus Denton County was a part of Fannin County
from 1837-1846. The western part of Fannin County
at this time was a hunting ground for the wild Indian
tribes. In 1839, 1840, and 1841 the Texas Congress
had three companies of rangers organized to protect
Fannin County from the Indians. Orders to patrol
came direct from the President of the Republic, and
the rangers were given a definite area to guard. (The
area designated for patrol service extended from Red
River southward for more than 100 miles and the
western margin was- the Denton area.
There were two famous east-west trails across Den-
ton County at that time, the "Indian Trail" and the
"Ranger's Trail." The "Indian Trail" crossed Big
Elm at the point where the old McKinney road crossed
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Cowling, Mary Jo. Geography of Denton County, book, 1936; Dallas, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth90885/m1/17/: accessed July 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.