Geography of Denton County Page: 9
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
over Clear Creek called "California Crossing." No
doubt a marker will soon be placed at this spot in Den-
ton County, for the Denton area in those early days
certainly profited much by contact with this trail.
Later, of course, as the frontier pushed west, trails
shifted and the patrol force followed. An interesting
sentence from the county Auditor's report for 1934
might lead one to believe that the county is still "wild
and woolly," "Bounties paid on coyote scalps for the
county in 1934 was seventy dollars." But the sentence
means nothing, for today it seems coyotes are becoming
more "urbanized" and the animals are likely to visit
counties which have been fairly densely settled for a
hundred years or more. The fact that today miles of
wire fences dot the cultural landscape means that coy-
otes can escape while men are unable to follow in pur-
suit, as they did during the trail days.
EARLY SETTLEMENTS OF DENTON
In the days of the Texas Republic there was a great
need for immigrants. In 1841 a law was passed to at-
tract people from the older states to this part of the
great southwest. Married men were invited to come
and bring their families and as an inducement each
man was given six hundred forty acres of land. Single
men were invited and each of these given three hun-
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Cowling, Mary Jo. Geography of Denton County, book, 1936; Dallas, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth90885/m1/22/: accessed July 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.