Geography of Denton County Page: 16
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
GEOGRAPHY OF DENTON COUNTY
grasses, chairs were made with rawhide seats and the
horns of the cattle and of the buffalo were put into
some domestic use. A map of Denton County is avail-
able which shows the names of the original grantees.
It is a most interesting old map, showing how thick the
gr.nlts of land were in the southeastern one-third of the
area, and the three most thinly settled spots in the
county. It shows a few diamond-shaped grants to Span-
ish families, the explanation being that the Spanish al-
ways wanted a running stream through the central por-
tion of their land holdings. This plan gave both bot-
tom land and upland.
A study of Table No. 1, previously given, in re-
lation to the map, Figure 2, will help in locating and in
interpreting the account of the early settlements. The
first settlement in the county was the Bridges Settle-
ment, made in 1843, where the present town of Hebron
is located. This was near the office of the Peters
Land Company. The settlement was made before
Denton, Collin, or Dallas Counties were formed.
Later, it was found, the settlement had spread out into
all three counties. The people who settled here were
mostly Baptists and Methodists from Kentucky, Ten-
nessee, and Arkansas.
'The second settlement, in 1844, was at Holford
Prairie at the present town of Lewisville. Most of the
settlers here came from Platt County, Missouri. This,
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Cowling, Mary Jo. Geography of Denton County, book, 1936; Dallas, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth90885/m1/29/: accessed January 18, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.