Geography of Denton County Page: 17
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
too, was a Methodist and Baptist community. It is said
the first Methodist church in the county was in the Hol-
ford Prairie settlement.
The third settlement was at Stewarts Creek, made
in 1844. This settlement, on the east side of Big Elm,
spread westward to the mouth of the creek.
The fourth settlement in the county was made in
1844 at Little Elm on the bank of the creek. The post-
office here was the first one in the county and was built
before the county was organized. This was an impor-
tant site because it was enroute from Preston's Bend on
the Red River to Birdville, near Fort Worth. These
four settlements were made while Texas was a republic
and the influence of the Peters colony was strongly felt
in their establishment.
Return to the map showing the locations of the next
fourteen settlements made after Texas became a state.
A few sentences will be made relative to only a few of
/The Pilot Point Settlement was three miles south of
tie northern boundary of the county and six miles from
the eastern margin of the county. It seems the physical
landscape suggested the name, for there was an elevated
point of post oaks jutting out into the prairie. North-
west of the grove was a fine spring. Water and-timber-<
were two things seriously kept in mind before the old
timers "pitched tents" for a settlement. As years passed,
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Cowling, Mary Jo. Geography of Denton County, book, 1936; Dallas, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth90885/m1/30/: accessed September 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.