Geography of Denton County Page: 18
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
GEOGRAPHY OF DENTON COUNTY
this settlement became, over a period of time, the larg-
est population center of the county. Franklin College,
located here, was at that time the only college center
west of Kidd-Key, serving north central Texas. While
it was only a small school giving two years of college
wc.k, it exerted much influence in its day.
About five years after the Medlin Settlement was
made, a man from Missouri by the name of Jesse Eads,
arrived. Jesse Eads built a mill on the banks of Mar-
shall Creek to grind corn. In a few years, however, he
moved to Los Angeles.
- Possibly the most interesting settlement in Denton
County was that of New Icaria where Justin is today.
The settlers here came direct from France in 1848.
About one hundred fifty men, calling themselves "So-
cialistes" or Icarians crossed the Atlantic for Denton
County as their destination. Previous mention has
been made that Mr. Peters went to Europe for some of
his colonists. He was in Europe in February, 1848,
when a bloody street battle took place in Paris. It is
said there were thirty thousand people killed during
the three days of fighting. Louis Phillipe was de-
throned and there was established a temporary govern-
ment which later was converted into a republic. The
outlook in France was not very cheerful. The group
longed to go to a country where they might initiate their
own ideas of social reform, where they might find equal
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Cowling, Mary Jo. Geography of Denton County, book, 1936; Dallas, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth90885/m1/31/: accessed January 16, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.