Geography of Denton County Page: 19
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
opportunities for economic growth. In the summer
and fall of 1848 these Icarians were persuaded to cross
the Atlantic for a new home in Texas, and Doctor
Adolph Gonnough came as the leader of the colony.
New Orleans was the port where they landed and they
came up Red River to Shreveport and then via the ox-
wagon route to Denton. The story goes that some of
them pushed hand-carts between Red River and
their destinations. It seems that this colony in Denton
County was about ten years older than La Reunion
Colony in Dallas County. On the Grand Prairie sec-
tion of Denton County the French found topographic
conditions comparable to their native land, and they
rejoiced in the thought that they could grow crops,
especially the wine-producing grape, which they had
cultivated in France. The Peters Colony had made
several attractive promises to the "Socialistes." LThe
land office promised to build cabins, break and fence six
acres of land per man, furnish a year's provisions, am-
munition and guns for protection against the Indians,
and furnish farming implements. These were big
promises. Each head of a family could buy three hun-
dred and twenty acres. Also, it was agreed that the
colonists could buy supplies at a fair price from the
Peters commissary. A section of land over one hundred
square miles was surveyed, and the French moved west
from the Hebron region to the Justin area, and the
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Cowling, Mary Jo. Geography of Denton County, book, 1936; Dallas, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth90885/m1/32/: accessed April 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.