Geography of Denton County Page: 21
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
it in their new environment, no one knows, but they did
suffer from chills and fever. Medicine was costly and
difficult to get. They not only lost faith in the ability
of their doctor to help them but actually conceived the
idea that he was trying to poison them. His former
friends turned to enemies; so he left the colony and
moved to the Pilot Point area in the northeastern part
of the county. On the map of Denton County today,
a few miles west of Pilot Point, is a small stream bear-
ing the French name Isle du Bois, "Isle of Trees." On
the road between Argyle and Justin one passes over
Denton Creek and at this point or near it, was French
Town Crossing. This is another evidence imprinted in
place geography of the one time presence of the
French in the county. All in all, life was unpleasant
for this French settlement and discouragement reigned
throughout the colony. Some grew homesick and re-
turned to France, others left for a French colony in
Illinois, while others moved south a few miles and
settled in Dallas County. Thus closes the story of some
of the early settlements of Denton County.
Denton County has had the experience of having
three different county seats before the city of Denton
became the final and permanent seat of the county. In
1846 the First Texas Legislature created thirty-one new
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Cowling, Mary Jo. Geography of Denton County, book, 1936; Dallas, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth90885/m1/35/: accessed December 18, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.