Geography of Denton County Page: 22
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
GEOGRAPHY OF DENTON COUNTY
counties and Denton County was one of them. The
county was named for John B. Denton, a Tennessean,
who came west when very young. He was a soldier,
lawyer, and preacher who gave his life for this western
country, as he was only thirty-four years old when he
was killed by the Indians near Birdville, northeast of
The state asked that thirty miles in each of the four
directions be measured off for Denton County, but when
the survey was made it was thirty-one miles east and
west, and twenty-nine miles and twenty-seven chains
north and south. When "map making" is considered,
it is to be regretted the county was not re-surveyed and
the state's directions carried out. A commission was
given the interesting, but difficult, task of selecting a
county seat. Advice was given the committee to select
two places within three miles of the center of the
county. Then by popular vote, the people were given
a chance to decide which of the two places they pre-
ferred. The voters selected a spot one and one-fourth
miles east and a little south of the present town of Den-
ton. It was called Pinkneyville, the name having been
decided upon even before any choice of location was
made. It was named for Governor Pinkney Hender-
son. Pinkneyville was never satisfactory, the people
reasoning that it was surrounded by too much timber.
In 1848 the Second Legislature changed the county
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Cowling, Mary Jo. Geography of Denton County, book, 1936; Dallas, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth90885/m1/36/: accessed August 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.