Geography of Denton County Page: 24
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
GEOGRAPHY OF DENTON COUNTY
causing considerable damage and burning many busi-
ness houses. This fire was started by a "prairie match."
In 1875 the court house was burned. Besides the loss
of the court house many valuable old records were
burned at that time. The present court house was built
in 1896 from "quarry limestone" found north of the
city of Denton.
FAMOUS CATTLEMEN OF DENTON
While all of the pioneers engaged in farming to some
extent, it was the cattle industry in Denton County that
gave the charm, romance, and fascination to life in the
west. More has been woven into song and story about
the Lone Star cowboy and the Texas cattle drivers than
about any other activity or industry engaged in by these
first-comers, and Denton County shares in this romance.
About twenty years after Denton County was organ-
ized, the cattle of Texas began pouring into northern
markets in great numbers. There were few cattle at
that time west of the ninety-ninth meridian, so Denton
County was outstanding in the extension of the cattle
industry westward. Some records say that about fifty
thousand cowboys were used on the cattle trails. The
sale of Texas cattle in northern markets brought be-
tween $250,000,000 and $300,000,000 back to Texas.
Several million head of cattle moved over a trail in the
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Cowling, Mary Jo. Geography of Denton County, book, 1936; Dallas, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth90885/m1/38/: accessed January 23, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.