Geography of Denton County Page: 40
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
GEOGRAPHY OF DENTON COUNTY
Hickory and Clear Creeks is about equal in width to
the interstream area between Hickory and Denton
Creeks. The two creeks which rise in the northwestern
portion, Clear Creek and Denton Creek, are fed by
springs, and during periods of dry weather these two
creeks have more water in them than other streams of
the county. However, during the severe drought of
1934 the springs disappeared. For the last few years
Oe flow from springs has been decreasing, due to ero-
sion of so much of the soil. Terracing of land may
help to restore the springs, as has been the case in other
parts of the state. One adverse geographic character-
istic of these streams is that during times of heavy pre-
cipitation which generally are spring and summer, they
overflow an area in their lower courses from one-fourth
to two miles in width and to a depth of several feet.
Clear Creek, Hickory Creek, and Denton Creek have
many smaller intermittent streams as tributaries. Duck
Creek, a short distance west of Sanger, flows into Clear
Creek. Hickory Creek has North Hickory, South
Hickory, and Wolf Branch as tributaries. Denton
Creek has several tributaries bearing names for indi-
vidual people, as Morris Branch, Oliver Creek, Har-
riett Creek, Elizabeth Creek, and Henrietta Creek.
Hedgecoke, a surveyor from Kentucky, who did much
surveying for the Peters Colony, named Oliver Creek
for his son, Henry Oliver, and the three creeks known
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Cowling, Mary Jo. Geography of Denton County, book, 1936; Dallas, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth90885/m1/55/: accessed May 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.