Geography of Denton County Page: 41
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
DENTON COUNTY AS A WHOLE
as Henrietta, Harriett, and Elizabeth were named for
his daughters. Trail Creek near Justin, was named for
his dog. (See Fig. 2, p. 10) Many windmills dot the
cultural landscape pattern of the Grand Prairie and
furnish water for domestic use, for animal drinking
troughs, and in a few minor instances furnish water for
irrigated patches. (Cultural landscape is man-made-
fences, roads, etc; natural landscape means hills, val-
leys, streams, etc.) .
The focus of the principal roads of the country is the
county seat, the city of Denton. The county seat is
centrally located and the minor topographic variations
do not compel an irregular road pattern. Then the
fairly regular pattern for the distribution of farm areas
is another factor favoring the tendency of road conver-
gence on the county seat town. The road from Sanger
to Pilot Point is spoken of as the "wire road," because
one of the first telegraph lines into the west came from
Sherman via Pilot Point to Sanger.
The population for the county is almost 33,000 and
approximately one-third of that number is concentrated
in the county seat, Denton, the largest town, by far, in
the county. The county has approximately a dozen
small towns varying in size from Lake Dallas with
300 people to Sanger and Pilot Point with about 1100
each. The population density per square mile, for the
county as a whole, is 34.5 people. The Eastern Cross
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Cowling, Mary Jo. Geography of Denton County, book, 1936; Dallas, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth90885/m1/56/: accessed July 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.