Geography of Denton County Page: 69
larger blocks as directed by the 1935 cotton law. The
county has fourteen cotton blocks, and a cotton chair-
man represents each district. About 3,630 farmers in
Denton County took out cotton contracts for 1935.
This number includes owners, one-third and one-fourth
crop renters and the one-half cropper types. While
the cotton farms are distributed over all the county,
there is a tendency for the farms to be larger on the
Black Prairie. The average cotton production for the
county now is around 25,000 bales, though the county
is capable of heavier production.
The live stock industry is another important activity
for the county, and while cattle and sheep are also
raised throughout the whole area, the Grand Prairie
section produces the greater number of these animals.
According to the 1930 census there were about 34,000
head of cattle and over 27,000 head of sheep and lambs
in the county. Goats are not so numerous here as on
the Edwards Plateau section of Texas, but according to
the same census Denton county has 922 goats. The
number of animals distributed over the farms of this
area has decreased gradually since 1930. And the reg-
ulations of the Federal Government during the latter
part of 1934, relative to the killing off of these animals,
must not be forgotten. During the latter part of 1934,
the Federal Government purchased over six thousand
head of cattle in Denton County, leaving at the present
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page .
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Cowling, Mary Jo. Geography of Denton County, book, 1936; Dallas, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth90885/m1/86/ocr/: accessed December 15, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.