Geography of Denton County Page: 71
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
since 1932 and makes about eleven hundred pounds of
It is believed that after a while when conditions are
more settled the county of Denton will again return to
the high rate of production for beef and dairy cattle.
The city milk ordinance was effected in 1933, and this
fact, together with the high rating given the dairy
plants of the city of Denton by state inspectors, will
help Denton return to the high production of milk,
butter, and cheese which it formerly enjoyed, not so
long ago. When this condition returns, the Grand
Prairie section will contribute its full share of influence
in the life of the industries.
THE EASTERN CROSS TIMBERS
The Eastern Cross Timbers occupies an interme-
diate location between the Grand Prairie on the west
and the Black Prairie on the east. In areal extent this
division covers about one-fourth of the county or 235
square miles. In many respects the Eastern Cross
Timbers is the most important of the three divisions of
Denton County. This division gets the name "Cross
Timbers" from the fact that the area originally was
rather heavily timbered. The word "Cross" has crept
into the name in a rather romantic way. In the early
days of Texas when large cattle drives took place, it was
necessary in many instances for the cattle from central
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Cowling, Mary Jo. Geography of Denton County, book, 1936; Dallas, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth90885/m1/88/: accessed July 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.