Geography of Denton County Page: 82
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
GEOGRAPHY OF DENTON COUNTY
Pacific is called, has 33.9 miles of track in the county
from Pilot Point to Roanoke for which the state paid
718 sections, which is in acreage 459,520 acres. This
amount averages a cost of twenty sections per mile and
is four-fifths the area of Denton County.
Shortly after the granting of the charter to the Texas
and Pacific, the Dallas and Wichita Railroad (M. K.
& T.) was chartered. This was May 24, 1873, and
the building of the road began very shortly after this
date. This second road has 20.3 miles in the county,
for which the state paid at the rate of 16 sections per
mile. At this rate Texas gave the Dallas and Wichita
Railroad 329 sections of land or acreage to the amount
of 210,560 acres.
On May 28, 1873, the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa
Fe were granted a charter to build 32.9 miles of rail-
road in Denton County for which the state paid 16 sec-
tions per mile or 526 sections of land. The amount
given this railroad, 336,896 acres, is equal to three-
fifths of the acreage of Denton County. A glance at the
railroad map will show that the Santa Fe built west of
the city of Denton by ten miles. It is believed that Den-
ton could have obtained the railroad had a little greater
effort been made for the road.
The last railroad to lay track in Denton County was
the St. Louis and San Francisco, which built ten miles
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Cowling, Mary Jo. Geography of Denton County, book, 1936; Dallas, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth90885/m1/99/: accessed March 30, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.