[107 E. Kolstad - Gaught House]

Description

Photograph of the front and west side of the "Gaught House," a two-story, red-brick house located at 107 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. There is a double staircase leading to the raised front porch, which has ionic columns.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Creation Information

Goebel, Matt February 1993.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 62 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Architect

Donor

Other

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of the front and west side of the "Gaught House," a two-story, red-brick house located at 107 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. There is a double staircase leading to the raised front porch, which has ionic columns.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Notes

Camera looking: Northeast
Photograph: 15 of 18

Notes

This house is an anomaly among historic residences in Palestine and defies classification. Local contractor John H. Gaught built this house in the early 1910’s, to plans by prominent architect James F. Brook. Gaught was responsible for the construction of some of Palestine’s most notable buildings, including the Redlands Hotel and the Centenary Methodist Church. According to deed records, Gaught sold the house to John R. Hearne, Jr., in January 1914. Hearne was a salesman at the Palestine Hardware Company who lived here with his wife, Clara Welborn, until 1945, when W.T. Lively acquired the building. Lively continued to occupy the house through 1971, and was responsible for the building’s rear addition. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Subjects

Keywords

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • February 1993

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • Feb. 1, 2006, 5:25 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Nov. 24, 2014, 2:42 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 62

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.766851, -95.632095

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Goebel, Matt. [107 E. Kolstad - Gaught House], photograph, February 1993; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth9429/: accessed July 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.