The City of Abilene Ordinance Books contain the city’s ordinances over the entire history of Abilene, Texas and represent a unique wealth of local history and key city events. The Abilene City Council Minutes Books contain the minutes of council meetings dating back to 1886.
Featuring thousands of newspapers, photographs, sound recordings, technical drawings, and much more, this diverse collection tells the story of Texas through the preservation and exhibition of valuable resources.
The Abilene Reporter has chronicled the events in and around Abilene since its first publication in 1881, three months after the city's founding. The more than 7,200 issues span the end of the 19th century into the 1920s.
This collection, donated to Abilene Christian University by Warren L. Hutchinson in 1980, consists of forty-four ancient coins from the Mediterranean and the Near East. The coins range in date from the 3rd century B. C. to the 6th century A. D.
This broad survey of historic newspapers was written for and published by African Americans. The materials provide a record of the culture, daily life, and history of the community across the United States.
The photographs in this collection depict Weslaco's annual "Birthday Party" fashion show, an event first organized in 1929 by the Chamber of Commerce to highlight the fruit and vegetables grown in the Rio Grande Valley.
First purchased by prohibitionists and used to lobby against saloons, Amarillo Daily News recorded the lives and times of the city in the early 20th century. Funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Originally created by Tarleton State University professors in 1995, Anthology gives students a creative outlet. It features student-created short stories, poems, musical scores, art, photographs, and more.
The Atlanta Citizens Journal is a weekly newspaper first published in 1879 by John Fletcher in Linden. It moved from Linden to Atlanta, TX in 1883, and features local, state, and national news as well as advertising.
Personal and official records of Moses Austin and his son Stephen F. Austin, also known as "The Father of Texas." They cover significant events in Texas history, from colonization and the revolution to the early Republic of Texas.
Originally a Democratic newspaper, the Statesman covered local, national, and international news in the Texas capital. These issues are from the late 19th century and provide a glimpse into a bygone era of Texas history.
The paper began publication in 1945, documenting Bandera area history, including major flooding events from the Medina River as well 20th-century population booms. Funding provided by a Tocker Foundation grant.
Photos of show, quarter and cutting horses from the 1960s through 2004. Ray Bankston and his company, Dalco, documented these events and told the stories of many people involved, including celebrities and wealthy Texans.
Since 1886, the paper played a vital role in the community by reporting on national, state, and local news, obituaries and a record of legal notices. Funding from a grant to the Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
First published as The Bastrop Advertiser and County News on March 1, 1853, The Bastrop Advertiser is the oldest continuously published weekly in Texas. Funding for its digitization was provided by a Tocker Foundation grant.
These photographs depict the evolution of the famous Battleship Texas, including its technology and appearance over time, how she contributed to war efforts, and the lives of the men who served on the ship.
The Bell County Democrat represents late-19th and early-20th-century life in central Texas. The semi-weekly paper features local, state, and national news as well as advertising. Funding provided by a TexTreasures grant.
Photographs of historic Texas county courthouses and their surrounding buildings, as well as historic bridges, churches, and landmarks. The photographs are all in color and were taken from 1990 to the present.
These weekly newspapers from Houston include news and information related to West University Place, Bellaire, Southside Place, Braeswood, Southampton, Southgate and adjacent areas along with advertising.
Founded on July 28th, 1860, The Bellville Countryman was a semi-weekly newspaper that served the populations of Bellville and Austin. Funding provided through a TexTreasures Early Texas Newspapers grant.
This weekly newspaper, published in Belton, discussed local, state, and national news and advertising. A Whig newspaper, it was the first paper in Bell County — it opposed secession and supported Sam Houston.
The Ralph Bickler Papers include photographs documenting the Bickler family and life in Central Texas in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. From a family with German roots, Ralph attended the Texas German and English Academy founded by his father. As an adult, he was active in many social organizations in Austin.
Since 1906 The Boerne Star has been the source for local news in Boerne and Kendall County, Texas. The Star is published every Tuesday and Friday, continuing the 111-year mission of documenting the history of the Boerne, Comfort, Fair Oaks Ranch and Kendall County areas for current and future generations.
The Dr. Edith Marguerite Bonnet Papers include the personal diary and correspondence of Dr. Edith Bonnet (1897-1984). Dr. Bonnet, a 1926 graduate of the University of Texas Medical Branch, was one of the first two females to intern at the John Sealy Hospital in Galveston, Texas.
These vivid and intricately illustrated bank notes, vouchers, and coupons (1915 - 1925) came from the tumultuous era of World War I and its aftermath, originating in Germany, Hungary, Russia, Italy, and Denmark.
After the discovery of oil in the West Texas town, this boomtown attracted oil men, prospectors, gamblers, and bootleggers. The paper documented the rapid growth and activity of Borger during the first half of the 20th century.
Photographer Bill Bradly documented the people and businesses of the Deaf Smith County area, represented here. Funding provided in part by Humanities Texas, the state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities.
In 1916, Mildred Paxton, Raymond Foy and Horace Blackwell started this weekly student paper at Hardin-Simmons University. The paper covered topics relating to student life and happenings at the university.
Out-of-print books related to Texas and Oklahoma history, made available as ebooks thanks to a Humanities Open Book Program grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities: Celebrating 50 Years of Excellence.
This collection of photographs and texts are part of an effort to preserve Austin’s African-American cultural history. Includes images of church parishioners, families, students, weddings, church groups, and more.
The Bulletin of the Texas Archeological Society (BTAS) is the Society’s flagship publication. The first volume was published in 1929 by Cyrus Ray as editor and it has been published annually (except for 1944) since. It is one of the oldest continuously published archeological journals in the US, and since its inception, has published articles by professional and avocational archaeologists. The Bulletin offers an outlet for the publication of serious research on prehistory, archeological theory, and history. In line with the goals of the Society, it encourages the scientific collection, study, and publication of archeological data and findings.
This weekly paper served the people of Cameron, Milam County. The community formed in 1846 and named for Scottish Highlander Ewen Cameron, who participated in the Texas Revolution and the Mier Expedition.
Once located near present-day Dyess Air Force Base, this was among the largest U.S. military installations in Texas. These newspapers published by personnel provided news and information to soldiers and their families.
This collection of photographs documents life at Camp Bowie, featuring photos of troops at the camp in Fort Worth during WWI, and of troops, tents, and aerial views of the camp in Brownwood during WWII.
The Canadian Advertiser ran from1938 until 1939, published by Othello Ontje Miller. Miller and his wife Elna were the sole owners of the newspaper; he served as publisher and editor and she was in charge of the reporting and advertising.
"Devoted to the interests of Canadian and the Surrounding Country", as its masthead once declared early in the publication's history, The Canadian Record continues to serve the town of Canadian, Texas as it has since 1893.
Originally published in 1896, this weekly covered stock raising. In 1903, attorney George A. Brandon bought the paper, which included local, state, and national news as well as advertising and items promoting the community.
Joseph A. Carroll played a major role in the early development of North Texas as was a founding father of Denton. These more than 80 letters (approx. 129 pages) were written to and from Carroll during the 19th century.
For much of the 20th century the Carrollton Chronicle was the newspaper of record for the small town. It provided a weekly history of a town which grew from 500 people in 1900 to nearly 90,000 in the early 1990’s.
The Cedar Hill Newspaper Collection is a selection of weekly newspapers from Cedar Hill and Duncanville in Dallas and Ellis Counties. The newspapers include local, state, and national news as well as advertisements.
Videos and photos that document people, programs, and events on the University of North Texas campus. Additional materials in tangible format are available for use in the UNT Special Collections Reading Room.
The Central Texas Library System, Inc., is one of the ten original library systems serving public libraries in Texas from 1972 to 2012. It is still in operation as a non-profit, serving 192 libraries across the state.
A state historical marker designates the Rusk newspaper as the state's oldest, continuously published weekly. Its rich roots planted in 1850, when Texas was a young state. Funded by a Tocker Foundation grant.
City, business, legal, and phone directories from the 19th and 20th centuries. Each directory has an index and ads from local businesses and includes names, addresses, and phone numbers for residents and businesses.
Archival collections reflect experiences of women, professional men, military men, Texas cattlemen, businessmen, farmers, and government officials. Funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
This seminal work of visual storytelling represents the extensive Clark family archives from the golden age of American photography. Their work has featured in Life Magazine, National Geographic, Look and Newsweek.
Claude and Armstrong County history features on these issues from the turn of the 20th century to 1965. Funding for "The Oldest and Best Read County Seat Weekly in the Panhandle" provided by the Tocker Foundation.
This collection contains personal and professional materials related to Henry R. Clay, Jr., documenting his time in the military as a pilot during WWI while receiving his training in England and during his deployment in France.
Published in the rural town of Clifton in Bosque County, the Record depicts the influence of the Scandinavian and German immigrants that settled the area. A Tocker Foundation grant provided funding for digitization.
Daniel Baker College began as a small Presbyterian school in 1889 in Brownwood. Issues of the paper provide a wealth of information on campus life and the values at the small college in the 20th century.
Digitized via a Rescuing Texas History grant, these issues depict The Colony's history. The municipality began in 1969 with planned development of a new city modeled after Dallas and consisted primarily of single family homes.
The Comanche Area Newspapers represent a collection of newspaper titles from Comanche County, Texas. The bulk of this collection comes from The Comanche Chief, which is owned and operated by the Wilkerson family and is now in its third generation of newspaper publishing.
Howard and Clara Caver started The Bulletin in 1967 as a service to the community of black churches in Abilene. It reported on church and community events, civil rights, political races, education, and the job market.
The Congressional Record is the official record of the proceedings and debates of the United States Congress beginning with the Forty-Third Congress in 1873, published daily when Congress is in session. The Congressional Record is more comprehensive than its predecessors, the Annals of Congress, Register of Debates, and Congressional Globe.
The Conroe Courier was a weekly newspaper "Published in the interest of Conroe and Montgomery County". The paper was founded by 1896 by H. P. Jones and featured local, state, and national news as well as advertising.
The first weekly newspaper began publication on January 7, 1909, and covered local, national, and world news. This collection consists of newspaper issues held on microfilm and digitized via a Tocker Foundation grant.
A quarterly report addressing economic conditions across the United States, Texas, and Erath County. This data is compiled from statistics and information from government agencies and includes summaries and commentary.
Newspapers serving Cuero and DeWitt County. Famed for turkey ranching, this is known as the "Turkey Capital of the World," reinforced by the Cuero High School mascot, the Gobbler. Funded by the Tocker Foundation.
Founded in 1870, Delta County is in northeastern Texas. As of the 2010 census, its population was 5,231. Delta County is formed by two forks of the Sulphur River on its northern and southern boundaries, which meet at its easternmost point to create the Greek letter-delta shape.
This Brownsville paper started in 1879. Because editor W.P. Guirey was fluent in Spanish, he specialized in reporting on Matamoros, Mexico, and nearby border towns. Funded by the TexTreasures Early Texas Newspapers program.
The Daily Herald began publication in 1892 in Brownsville, and served a vital role in the community. The paper is part of the "Chronicling America" project from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
This annual publication contains genealogical information about families in Dallas and the surrounding areas. Includes family histories, lists of records, correspondence, and other documentation from the mid-1990s through 2010.
Dallas Museum of Art Exhibition Records Collection contains published catalogs for exhibitions held by the museum between 1903 and 1983. This project is made possible by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.
This was the first newspaper to serve the LGBT community in Dallas. It has provided news; commentary; and television, theater, and film critiques for over 30 years. Digitization was funded by a TexTreasures grant.
Catalogs and bulletins of Daniel Baker College from the early 1900s to the 1980s. They describe the governance, history, admission, course offerings, and campus life of Daniel Baker College in Brownwood.
Yearbooks for Daniel Baker College from the early 1910s to the 1950s. These issues feature songs, yells, student writings and artwork, and photos, including early photographs of Brownwood buildings and homes.
Correspondence, newsletters, and grant reports related to art education and the North Texas Institute for Educators on the Visual Arts (NTIEVA), headquartered at the University of North Texas. Materials were scanned by the donor, D. Jack Davis, and provided in a digital format to UNT Special Collections. Additional materials in an analog format can be viewed in the UNT Special Collections Reading Room.
This newspaper was published by Justo Cardenas in Laredo, Webb County from 1896 to 1920. It features news as well as advertising and news from Mexico. Funding provided by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
The Denison Daily Herald is a daily newspaper from Denison, Texas that includes local, state, and national news along with extensive advertising. This collection contains over 100 issues from the years 1906 and 1907.
Documenting the history of Denton County and its county seat from 1892-1911, the Denton County Newspaper Collection offers a detailed view into the growth and expansion of the county as an agricultural and educational hub.
News and viewpoints related to the Fracking Referendum passed in the city of Denton, Texas on November 4, 2014. Materials include a compilation of web pages crawled in late 2014 and a collection of oral histories conducted in Fall 2015 by UNT students.
These materials document the activities of former President Lyndon B. Johnson and his family, taken by notable Texas newsman and photographer. The photos also feature historical figures, the Texas Hill County, and Fredricksburg.
Photojournalist Neal Douglass worked for Austin American-Statesman and had his own studio. These photos represent specific events, cultural aspects of life, former buildings and customs in Austin during the 20th century.
The East Texas Family Records was a quarterly publication that includes cemetery, Bible, Confederate, church, family, and military records for the East Texas counties of Anderson, Gregg, Henderson, Panola, Rusk, and Smith.
From Wichita County comes the Electra Area Newspaper Collection, serving the city of Electra and its surrounding area with five titles available in The Portal to Texas History, including the Electra Daily News, Electra News, The Electra Star-News, and the Harrold Howler.
Located in central Texas, Fayette County’s first Anglo settlers arrived in the early 1820s. The county was organized January 18, 1838, with La Grange as the county seat. Beginning in the mid-1840s, a series of short-lived newspapers were published at La Grange.
The Ferris Wheel documents the history of Ferris from 1896 to 1897. The weekly newspaper contains news, stories, illustrations, poetry, jokes, and advertisements. Funding provided by the Northeast Texas Library System.
Larry Jene Fisher's images reflect his work as a photographer, filmmaker, environmental activist, musician, pilot, and traveler. These photos illustrate the richness and diversity of life in Texas, including the Big Thicket of East Texas.
Historical newspapers published in Hereford from 1901 to 1908. Provided by donations to the Deaf Smith County Friends of the Library in memory of Mrs. Formby, who was dedicated to the preservation of Texas history.
This was the first newspaper to serve Frisco after the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway built a line through the area, published from 1902 to the 1950s. Funding provided by a grant to the Collin County Genealogical Society from the Collin County Historical Commission.
As one of only two sovereign nations to join the U.S., the Republic of Texas occupies a unique place in American history. These materials relate to this volatile era. Funding provided by a TexTreasures grant.
This weekly newspaper served the people of Jacksboro in Jack County. The Frontier Echo was published by G. W. Robson between 1875 and 1878. It features local, state, and national news along with some advertising.
William Fuller played a pivotal role in the development of the aviation and airport industry in the DFW area. These photos document his illustrious career as well as the growth of aviation and non-aviation topics in North Texas.
The Galveston Weekly News began publication in 1843 by George French. The newspaper contains international, national and local news as well as advertising, and is among the first 20 newspapers published in Texas.
H. P. N. Gammel's The Laws of Texas charts Texas law from colonization to statehood, revealing Texas history during crucial times in its development. Of 33 volume set, the first 10 were funded by the TexTreasures program.
Often known as "session laws", this complete set of bills is passed into law during each session of the Texas Legislature. They are assigned a chapter number by the Secretary of State and published as a bound set.
This 23,000-acre working ranch and living history museum was originally settled in 1824 as part of the Austin Colony by Nancy and Henry Jones. Materials focus on the Jones and George families and the traditional Texas pursuits of cattle, cotton, and oil.
Gillespie County, located in the western central Texas Hill County, includes the county seat of Fredericksburg, a prominent German settlement. As a result, the German-language Fredericksburger Wochenblatt was the earliest newspaper published in the county, beginning in 1877.
Maps from the 19th and 20th centuries showing original surveys, usually made via a land grant within a particular county in Texas. Formats include manuscripts, lithographs, some early photographs, and blueprints/bluelines.
Major Jonathan Webb Graves, a printer, founded the The Graham Leader in 1876, serving as its first editor. The paper’s first issue was published Aug. 16, 1876, and it has been printed continuously and without interruption ever since.
This paper documented Greenville history. Topics include agricultural and international news as well as racial tension in the town during the 20th century. Funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
A center of production for oil and natural gas, Gregg County enjoyed prosperity from the early 1900s to 1950 from the national boom that accompanied and followed World Wars I and II. During the war, the government built Harmon General Hospital near Longview and afterwards donated it for use as LeTourneau Technical Institute, later named LeTourneau University.
Since 1924, these papers served the Lavaca County seat and South Texas. Printed in both English and Czech, they show the area's deep connections to Czech immigration. Funding provided by a Rescuing Texas History grant.
From 1939 to 1968, editor Othello Ontje Miller and his wife Elna published this paper. They were the sole owners of the newspaper; he was the publisher and editor and she was in charge of the reporting and advertising.
Henderson County was established in 1846 with its county seat in Athens. Its first courthouse was built in 1850. This collection houses historic legal documents and court cases from the 1850s to the early 1900s.
First published by Frank Vanderburgh in 1901 in "The Beef Capital of the World", this paper has documented Hereford's prosperity from its 1898 founding and railroad and cattle booms to a healthy, ethanol-based economy.
Correspondences and personal items of John J. Herrera, a notable lawyer and civil rights advocate for Mexican Americans. Known for his role in desegregating schools, he fought the exclusion of Spanish-speaking citizens on juries.
This book provides researchers with an objective, historical reference to the layout of the city of the Abilene. Its bulk was assembled in 1927 by O. K. Hobbs and J. P. McKean, and was revised by Hobbs in May 1930.
Photos from the Cutting Horse Photography Collection, the Don Shugart Photography Collection, and the Ray and Joyce Bankston Dalco Photography Collection, depicting horses, their riders, and competitions.
Officially formed in 1886, the Daily Post established itself as the premier paper in Houston and one of the leading daily publications in Texas. Digitization funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
These issues of the significant Houston title succeeded the The Houston Daily Post. This collection adds new issues, after 1903, to the Houston Daily Post run in the Texas Digital Newspaper Program, and continues to 1923.
The Ingleside Index serves the San Patricio County along with its sister publication, the Aransas Pass Progress. The first edition of the Aransas Pass Progress was printed on April 9, 1909, and much later the Ingleside Index went into print, in 1952.
The Jackson Area Newspaper Collection represents multiple title iterations of the same newspaper, starting with the the Edna Herald, originally begun on November 22, 1906, and moving up to the Jackson County Herald-Tribune.
The Jasper Newsboy was founded by E. I. Kellie and has been continuously printed since 1865, serving one of the original 23 Texas counties when the Republic of Texas was created. Funding was provided by a TexTreasures grant.
First published by 1900, this was one of Marion County's most influential publications and survives today as Texas's fifth oldest newspaper. Digitization sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Started more than 106 years ago in Houston, this paper is the longest-running Jewish newspaper in the Southwest. It provides local and national news to enrich the lives of the Texas Gulf Coast Jewish residents.
Started in 1914 by Fort Worth Rabbi George G. Fox, this regional weekly paper was designed to connect local rabbis and congregations. Digitization was funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Materials from the Dallas Police Department's extensive investigation of the John F. Kennedy assassination and the events that followed. The collection includes photos taken by Dallas Times Herald photographers.
Mary Anson Jones' personal letters from 1866 to 1882 discuss local affairs, family, and friends. The bulk of the letters is to her son, Cromwell Anson Jones. After her death, issues relating to land claims and taxes on family land arose.
Photographs from the Barbara C. Jordan Archives. Barbara Jordan ran for the Texas House twice (1962, 1964). She won a seat in the Texas Senate in 1966, becoming the first African American since Reconstruction to do so.
One of Galveston’s most iconic families, the Kempner family influenced the social and philanthropic landscape of Galveston, and its members created an expansive economic empire. This collection includes both personal papers and documentation of the family's involvement in business and industry.
Named after Judge R. C. Kerens of St. Louis, Kerens was founded in 1881 when the St. Louis Southwestern Railway cut through Navarro County. The paper started in 1892 and continues serving the community today.
These oral histories from Lee College cover three separate physical collections: the Baytown World War II Collection, the Baytown Veteran's Oral History Collection, and the Oral Histories of the Citizens of Baytown.
Papers of Kirvin Kade Legett and his eldest son. He came to Taylor County in 1879, founding Simmons College (Hardin-Simmons University). Legett served on the Board of Trustees, and his son farmed, raised cattle, and speculated in land, oil and natural gas.
LeMoine Lewis was a professor of Bible and church history at Abilene Christian University from 1949-1986. His lectures are preserved in this collection, focusing on the history of Christianity and Lewis' own interpretations.
This selection of newspapers was published in Lipscomb County and includes the Lipscomb Lime Light and Follett Times. The newspapers were published weekly beginning in 1917 and featured local, state, and national news.
This paper was established in 1889 and absorbed six newspapers over the last century. The Llano News has been a vital part of the fabric of Llano County, reporting and publishing community news as well as state and national news.
Created by the students at Gary High School, the Loblolly aimed to preserve and provide information on the community's past. It describes traditions and life skills, starting from early Texas pioneer days.
Ormer Locklear joined the United Army Air Service during WWI and learned to fly in Fort Worth. He performed as a barnstormer and acted in two feature movies. These materials portray Locklear, his friends and family, his stunt flying, his movie work, and his funeral.
Materials combined in a virtual collection that highlights Lorenzo de Zavala's accomplishments and impact. Supported in part by Humanities Texas, the state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities.
These images depict the daily life and flight training at Love Field in 1918, when it was both an army camp in World War I and when it was a municipally-owned airport in the latter half of the century.
The Lubbock Avalanche documented the early growth of Lubbock, which is known as the Hub City of West Texas due to its prominence in the region. These weekly newspapers include local, state, and national news.
During the Great Depression, Connie Ford McCann served as a company clerk for two six-month tours in the Civilian Conservation Corps. Included are his diary, documents, and photos from his year with the CCC.
The McMurry Chieftain is the alumni newsletter from McMurry University in Abilene. The newsletter features information about events at the school and news about the university's students, staff, and alumni.
The Council Fire is the student handbook of McMurry University in Abilene. It includes information about the school's rules and regulations as well as general information about student governance, campus life, and activities.
The McMurry University Library presents their collection of University catalogs that range from 1923 to present day. The catalogs describe the governance, faculty, course offerings, and campus life of McMurry College.
This annually published yearbook for McMurry College presents a record of student and campus life during the previous academic year. It includes photographs, formal and candid, of students, faculty, events and more.
Dewey Gerald Mears was a noted architectural photographer based in Austin, Texas from the 1940s through 1990s. Photographs from his collection document the architecture, commercial businesses and people of Austin and Central Texas during the mid-to-late 20th century.
The Megaphone reflects Southwestern University campus life as well as Georgetown and Williamson County events and activities, especially during the early years when "town and gown" were indistinguishable.
Newspapers serving Mercedes and Hidalgo County. The first paper, The Enterprise, was published by Isadore Moritz from 1908 to 1914. A series of English- and Spanish-language papers have since been published.
With the earliest paper issued in 1886, these papers were preserved through a Tocker Foundation grant. Founded in 1854 in Bosque County, the town was named for the 98th meridian, which was incorrectly believed to pass nearby.
These photographs depict Mexican American families, individuals, business and work experiences, festivals and community events, daily life and individual achievements within the scope of Texas history.
Spanning multiple titles, these materials depict the rich center of publishing that was Mineola at the turn of the century. Digitization of this collection was generously supported by the Tocker Foundation.
The Cedar Hill Citizen was digitized in tribute to its former publisher, James Mobley. Mobley published the paper with his wife, Pat, who was a strong supporter of public access to educational research materials for the greater good of the community. This collection commemorates their contribution to historic preservation.
Dr. Edwin D. Moten (1875-1955) was an African American physician who lived in Denton from 1907 to 1919. This collection contains family photographs along with personal and business correspondence from Dr. Moten.
Several newspapers have covered news in this crossroads between Caddo Land and pioneer settlement since the 1830s. Digitization of these papers was funded by a Ladd and Katherine Hancher Foundation grant.
The oldest business in Franklin County is the Mount Vernon Optic-Herald. It began in 1874 when W. J. Johnson of Mount Pleasant established the Franklin Herald at Mount Vernon about a year before the Texas Legislature cut Franklin County from Titus County.
Naples was founded in 1879, replacing the nearby settlement of "Old Wheatsville," which had been established by early settlers in 1850. The Monitor began publication in 1886 and still serves the town today.
This oral history collection depicts an instrumental era in American history. In these transcripts of interviews with World War II veterans are personal experiences with the war, from the Doolittle Raid and D-Day to the Battle for Bataan.
Bringing the history of the Women Airforce Service Pilots to life, these archives represent the role of the flight school in training women pilots to fly military planes and show how WASPs responded socially and professionally to new challenges brought by war. Included are financial documents, photographs, scrapbooks, correspondence, pilots' logs, and flight manuals.
Letters, speeches, poetry, and memoirs predominately dated 1971-1990 written by mother and son, Jean and Bill Nelson. Bill Nelson was a GLBT civil rights activist who spoke out about the discrimination the gay community and persons with AIDS faced in the 1980s. After Bill passed away in 1990 from AIDS-related complications, Jean attended events in his memory.
This German-language paper was one of the earliest in Texas. Planning by the New Braunfels community began in 1851, and the first issue printed on November 12, 1852. Digitization funded by a TexTreasures grant.
Established as part of a land grant to Moses Austin from Spain, Bryan expanded after the Houston and Texas Central Railroad ran through the town in 1867. Several competing newspapers documented Bryan's rapid growth.
This student newspaper from the University of North Texas was first published in 1916 under the title The Campus Chat. In the late 1940s, it ran on a semi-weekly basis and in 1970 was renamed The North Texas Daily.
The University of North Texas and the Denton County Office of History and Culture invited Denton residents to bring items photos, text, and other items of historical significance to be digitized in this community history project.
This pioneer-era newspaper was published from August 1842 to December 1888. Edited and published by Col. Charles Demorse, its motto read "Long shall our banner brave the breeze, the standard of the free."
Platted in 1909 by David Odem and John James Welder, the city of Odem lies at the juncture of two railroad lines that were laid in 1907 by the St. Louis, Brownsville, and Mexico Railway. Edroy, Texas, began as a townsite and a store on the crossroads of the railroad.