A. F. Weaver Collection - 893 Matching Results

Search Results

The Carlsbad of America

Description: Shown here is the battered title page of a pamphlet about Mineral Wells, calling it "The Carlsbad of America." It gives the property valuation (ending in 1905), and the population of the city (also ending in 1905). A colophon at the bottom of the pamphlet remarks "Texas An Empire---A nation within a Nation." The pamphlet reports itself as the work of the Index Printing Company.
Date: unknown
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

The Brain Busters

Description: The modern viewer is likely to be appalled by this picture, but black-face comedy was considered a socially acceptable form of entertainment until after World War II. The pamphlet suggests that "The Brain Busters" were a series of difficult questions sent in to the duo by listeners to their radio program. "February" has been identified as Francis Quinn (one of the players in the band of Jack Amlung), and "Sugar Cane" was said to be Amlung's announcer, Conrad Brady.
Date: unknown
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

A Brief History or A Statement of Facts of Mineral Wells, Texas From 1881 to 1921

Description: This photograph illustrates a booklet written by Mr. H. M. Berry, Mineral Wells' first school teacher. Published in 1921, it contains his recollections of the history of the development of the city of Mineral Wells from his arrival in 1881 to the date of publication of the booklet. (The booklet in its entirety is included in the latter portion of this collection.) While the booklet contains details that vary from other references, it contains valuable minutiae of many events in Mineral Wells' early history.
Date: unknown
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

[An Engraving of a Crowd of Men]

Description: We have here what appears to be an illustration taken from a larger page with printing on it. From its quality, it appears to be a steel engraving, made to look like an early 19th-century illustration. It portrays several men (no women are shown being present) gathered around what appears to be a well. An anonymous building, and two young trees, are directly behind them; and another wall in the distance bears a legend that vaguely announces groceries. The man on the extreme right-hand side is missing most of his left leg. Another man to his right is balancing a keg on his thigh. It is a puzzle what the men are doing, because the remains of the matter surrounding the picture appear to discuss the subject of printing.
Date: unknown
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

[A Minstrel Show Program]

Description: Shown here is presumably the program for a minstrel show (given in November of 1916) sponsored by the B.P.O.E. Please observe the advertisements (that presumably paid for the printing) on both the front and the back.
Date: unknown
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

The Daily Index

Description: Shown here is the front page of the Mineral Wells "Index", featuring a picture of Judge Alvin Lynch, astride a mule and holding a large bottle of the Mineral Wells water. The picture is not sufficiently in focus to read a reliable date to the newspaper, except perhaps to discern that the issue comes from "Volume VIII". We are accustomed to having a newspaper printed with the help of electricity. However, the "Index" of 1940 states that such was not always the case. "Employees of the Index", is said, "Can remember back in the old days when the electric service was rather questionable, especially at night--and it was the custom to put the press boy up on the feeder of the newspaper press, tie an electric cord around his neck,and let him go to sleep. When the power came on the bulb would get hot and wake him up--then he would round up the printers and they would get back to work." All this was in keeping with electricity that consisted of "[A] single drop cord in each room and on the end of it a 32 candle power light globe."
Date: 1902?-05-(06)?
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

[Taken From North Oak]

Description: This information is printed on the back of photograph: "Taken from the North Oak and N. E. 3rd. Street looking North May 28, 1975 by A.F. Weaver." Businesses that are visible in the photograph are, in order: The Crazy Water Hotel, Community Aerial Cable Company, Bennett's Office Supply and The Grand Theater.
Date: May 28, 1975
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

[A View of Mineral Wells]

Description: A set of buildings is shown here. The only buildings that have been identified with confidence are the Crazy Water Hotel, and the Nazareth Hospital, both at the right. The Baker occupies a small position on the extreme right.
Date: unknown
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

The Period Hotel

Description: A postcard of the Period Hotel, a two-story building with Neo-classical architecture which was located at the corner of NW 4th Avenue and 6th Street, in Mineral Wells, Texas is shown here. There is a horse-drawn carriage parked in front of the hotel and various people standing on the sidewalks around the building. A printed note at the top of the picture reads: "7698. The Period Hotel, Mineral Wells, Texas."
Date: unknown
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

[Construction of the Malsby Dairy]

Description: Construction of the Malsby Dairy is shown here, going on apace. Steel girders are being put in place, presumably to support a future roof. It was located at 300 SE 1st Street. Construction began (it is conjectured) in the late 1940's. The building once housed a newspaper (in the 1960's) called "The Advance", and then the "Mineral Wells Index." The "Index" still [2007] occupies the building. Please note that only half of the men in the picture are shown wearing hard hats. Please note also the derrick mounted on the back of a truck. A hand-written legend on the photograph reads: "Malsby Creamery"
Date: unknown
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

[First Country Club]

Description: Illustrated here is a picture of the first Mineral Wells Golf country club, taken about 1950. The picture shows it on the shore of a lake that was located about three miles east of Mineral Wells. Further information is,sadly,lacking.
Date: unknown
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

[Milling's Sanitarium and Water Well ]

Description: The gazebo-like structure shown in the picture protects a water pump in front of the Milling Sanitarium. The sanitarium was built about 1929 on what was then the 2500 block of Southeast 6th Avenue. It later became the Irvine Sanitarium. The Veterans of Foreign Wars (Post 2399) occupies the building as of 2010. The fate of the structure shown here is unknown.
Date: 1920?/1929?
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

Mineral Wells Sanitarium

Description: The Mineral Wells Sanitarium was located at 315 NW 1st Avenue. It was built by Mssrs. Blake Barber and H. M. Coleman, who were fashioning the "First building of this magnitude erected at Mineral Wells." It was listed in 1905 as being leased by Doctors J.M. Massie, and R. G. Braswell. It was later owned and operated by B.H. Milling before he built the Milling Sanitarium. The building burned in June of 1907, (as reported by the El Paso Daily Times in July 1907) with a loss estimated at $40,000. The inmates were all rescued--some narrowly. The fire started at the skating rink of the Palace Amusement Company, (a building valued at $5,000) which had just been finished, but not opened to the public. The Mineral Wells Bath House (which was empty at the time) was also a total loss, as was the Lithia Pavilion. Part of the Wann Hotel was destroyed along with thirty small frame structures. The total loss will be about $100,000 (as the same newspaper reports it). It was later torn down and replaced by Willimann's Pharmacy. The area was vacant before the sanitarium was built. Donkeys were pastured on it, but the wind brought notice of them to the guests in the Crazy Hotel, and they were forcibly removed. Currently [2010], the Woodsmen of the World club resides at this location.
Date: unknown
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

[Another View of Mineral Wells]

Description: This picture shows several different styles of house prominent in Mineral Wells, ranging from Colonial Revival (center) Queen Anne (upper tier, right), to Classical Revival (Upper tier, center). The Convention Hall is barely visible in the lower left corner, so the picture clearly antedates its demolition.
Date: unknown
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library