Early photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation from a high vantage point across the street, showing lot in front of the mansion, grounds. The Carriage House is visible behind trees to the right of the mansion. A wooden fence is visible behind the mansion, but other fences are removed. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1909 was Governor Thomas Mitchell Campbell. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Photograph of Southeast view of the Austin Dam on the Colorado River after breaking during a flood. The dam was built in 1890 in an attempt to bring industry to the city, but failed after upriver storms sent a flood cracking the dam and killing eight people when the powerhouse flooded.
Photograph of the twenty-four students in the Austin High School class of 1907. Bottom row (left to right): Ernest von Rosenberg, Tom Byrne, Harwood Stacey, Eugene Hill, Offie Leonard. Middle row (left to right): Arthur Crawford, Irene Maddox, Lillian Krohn, Eva von Homeyer, Louise Smith, Elva Powell, Amelia Nelson, Mabel Harrison, William Ruggles. Back row standing (left to right): Harris Brush, Mary Thaxton, Juanita Yarbrough, Leona Dean, Esther Bishop, Anna Maxwell, Josephine McGuire, P.J. Anthony, and William Jackson. Not present: Johanna Runge and Windom Burke.
Photograph of the Austin High School graduating class of 1908. Bottom row (left to right): John D. Miller, Ralph Goeth. Middle row (seated left to right): Walter Arlitt, Julius Runge, Robert F. Campbell, M.E. Rogers Jr., Raymond Phelps, Robert Bright, Rufus Waterson. Middle row (standing left to right): Lucy Blocker, Pauline von Rosenberg, Pauline Rex, Katie Clark, Laura Tucker, Janie Tannehill, Inez Slaughter, Salome Anthony, Lomie Layton, Louise Lambie, Cammie Briggs, May Belle Robbins, Lillian Clarke, Nannie von Rosenberg. Back row (standing left to right): Annie F. Campbell, Frankie Cochran, Florence Sears, Lena Rogan, Anna Magee, Agnes Robertson, Edna von Rosenberg, Mabel Maud. Absent: Nettie B. Sullivan (inset bottom right), Rosa Maas, and Preston Reynolds (not pictured).
View of Bohn Brothers Department Store on Congress Avenue, in Austin. Several men and women are lined up on the sidewalk in front of the store, facing the camera. A boy holds a bicycle and a man is in a horse-drawn buggy. Citizens Bank & Trust Co. is to the left of the department store.
Photograph of the Capitol Grounds in Austin, Texas. The photograph is on the front of a postcard written to Joe Harrell in Kingsland, Texas from Bob. The correspondene on the postcard reads, "It is he_ _ to have to go back to work after having such a fun easy time. Regards to All. Bob."
Photograph of two couples at the State Lunatic Asylum Park. "Mary" and "C.H.W." are in seated in the foreground. The names of the couple on the bridge are unknown. The hospital opened in 1856, is operated by the Texas Department of State Health Services, and changed its name in 1925. It is the oldest psychiatric hospital in the state of Texas and the third oldest standing public building in the state. It opened with 12 patients and saw as many as 3000 at once time. The Austin State Hospital currently houses around 300 patients, most staying for about a week during treatment.
Photograph of a group of men wearing suits standing on the steps of what may be either the Travis County Courthouse or the Travis County Jail. The identified men, including Judge George Calhoun, District Clerk James P. Hart, and Deputy Sheriff Fred Peck, are all Travis County officials, but most of the group are unidentified. One of the the men is African American, and he appears to be the only person not wearing a suit coat. Several of the men are wearing ties -- including bow ties, string ties and neck ties -- and several are wearing vests and have watch chains. The building behind them is made of stone blocks, with rusticated blocks below and ashlar blocks above. There is a door in the center of the photograph, behind the men, and it is flanked by two double-hung sash windows. Inscribed below the image in ink is "Court-House crowd", and the identifications are written in either ink or pencil with arrows pointing to the identified person.
Photograph of men a women standing on top of foundation of the Texas school for the Deaf. Francis Fischer and J.B. Nitchke hold the cornerstone. "Deaf and Dumb Institute, Fischer and Lambie Contractors, Lumber from Clacasieu Lumber Co." is written in the bottom left-hand quarter of the photo.
Photograph of African-American band at Emancipation Day celebration, June 19, 1900, held in "East Woods" on East 24th Street in Austin. Mrs. Grace Murray Stephenson kept a diary of the day's events, which she later sold to the San Francisco Chronicle, which wrote a full-page feature on it.
Photograph of Emancipation Day celebration, June 19, 1900 held in "East Woods" on East 24th Street in Austin. Mrs. Grace Murray Stephenson also kept a diary of the day's events which she sold to the San Francisco Chronicle which reported a full-page feature on it.
Print of the Texas Governor's Mansion from the southeast showing the front elevation and south elevation, the grounds, and a trellis to the left of the steps. The mansion is partially obscured by young trees. A large bush sits near the walkway on the right. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant during this time in 1905 was Governor S.W.T. Lanham. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation with cacti urns out front, shows iron fence with gate, very simple limestone steps up to the gate in a white wrought-iron fence. All windows are shuttered. The Carriage House is visible in the right background. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1907 was Governor S.W.T. Lanham. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Photograph of a group of men on horseback in front of Barnes and Company Grocers, including George S. Matthews, who served as Travis County Sheriff from 1902 to 1920. Prior to that Matthews was a deputy sheriff. The men are wearing suits and hats, and some are wearing sashes and ribbons. Horses and buggies are visible behind the men on horseback, just in front of the store. Two women on the store's front porch are wearing long skirts and large hats. The Barnes and Company grocery was a two-story brick building with a two-story front wooden porch, located at 123 West 7th Street at Colorado Street. The railing on the second porch floor has Maltese crosses and Masonic emblems on alternating metal balusters, and a painted wooden slat sign between the floors has a decorative pierced and pointed detail on the bottom side. The painter of the grocery's sign was Philip Bruckmann. The street in front of the store is dirt.
Photograph of President Thos. J White and a major portion of annual Officers and Directors of the Organization, 1909. Emancipation Park was an effort to purchase private property where African-Americans could celebrate Juneteenth or Emancipation Day without resistance from white citizens.
Photograph of the old Anderson High School for Negro students, a two story wood frame building located in the 900 block of Olive Street at the northeast corner of Olive and Curve Streets. Anderson was a segregated school created for colored students. The building appears to be an "L" configuration, with a small porch at the inside corner of the "L", 6/6 wood windows, a wood shingle roof and a brick chimney. Used from 1908 to 1912, the building appears to have been originally constructed as a residential structure. The school was named in honor of Professor E. H. Anderson, the second principal of Prairie View State College, and one of the pioneer educators of the state.
Photograph of the recently completed building that housed Austin High School from 1900 to 1925 and the John T. Allan Junior High School from 1925 until it was destroyed by a fire. Note that the photograph is mounted on cardboard backing and written on the back is the name J. E. Pearce.
Photograph of two women wearing long dresses and large hats, two men in suits and hats, a black porter and two conductors (one black and one white) stand near a stationary train. One of the women is standing on the boarding stool at the train door and bending over; she appears to be looking for something. Above her, part of a third woman's body is visible in the door opening. There is a number written in pencil on the lower left corner of the photograph that reads "6009".
Photograph of high, rapid waters of the Colorado River at the site of the former Austin Dam. The dam was built in 1890 in an attempt to bring industry to the city, but failed after upriver storms sent a flood cracking the dam and killing eight people when the powerhouse flooded.
Photograph of the Supreme Court of Texas around 1900. The photograph was taken in the court chambers and features Chief Justice R.R. Gaines, Associate Justices T.J. Brown and F.A. Williams, Clerk Charles S. Morse, and Deputy F.T. Connerly.
Photograph of University of Texas Old Main Building looking north, possibly up University Avenue, toward Old Main, with Women's Building and Chemistry Building on either side of Old Main. The road is unpaved and the trees are bare.
Photograph of Tackle at a UT practice game. Even for a practice game, the spectators fill the bleachers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Photograph of University of Texas practice game, which still draws a crowd of spectators to fill the stands. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Photograph of University of Texas Longhorns vs. Kansas City Medics at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless as the two teams line up against one another. The crowds pack closely together along the two sides of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Photograph of a woman dressed in a white blouse and hat as well as a dark skirt standing on a lawn in front of bushes with a bicycle with balloon tires. She has her right hand on the seat and her left hand on the handlebar. The bicycle is a turn-of-the-century safety model with a single gear and bicycle chain.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.