Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

1887 Graduating class of Austin High School

Description: Photograph of the 1887 graduating class of Austin High School. Front row (left to right): Pearl Caswell, Nannie Kelley, Florence Collins, Lucille James. Middle row (left to right): Eliza Mitchell, J. H. Bryant (professor), Minnie Sykes. Back row standing (left to right): unidentified woman, Mila Morris, Janie Maxwell, unidentified woman, Eve Sadler, Gertrude Whitis, Helen Grant, and William Gorden.
Date: 1887
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Aerial view of courts and seats at Caswell Tennis Center]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of all six tennis courts, spectator stands, and parking at the Caswell Tennis Center on Shoal Creek at 24th and N. Lamar. Two men's doubles matches are visible in the back two courts. Spectators crowd in the shade under the awning. Residential neighborhoods are visible behind the tennis courts in the background.
Date: June 20, 1950
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Aerial View of Deep Eddy]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Deep Eddy pool and surrounding area. The pool is dried out and the trees are bare indicating winter. There are no visible people or activity near the pool. Deep Eddy began as a natural swimming hole in the Colorado River and was expanded into a man-made swimming pool in 1915 by A.J. Eilers, Sr. Deep Eddy pool is the oldest swimming pool in Texas and is operated and maintained by the City of Austin.
Date: 19uu
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Aerial View of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Early photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation from a high vantage point across the street, showing lot in front of the mansion, grounds. The Carriage House is visible behind trees to the right of the mansion. A wooden fence is visible behind the mansion, but other fences are removed. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1909 was Governor Thomas Mitchell Campbell. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1909
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Aerial view of Municipal Golf Course

Description: Photograph of An aerial view of Austin Municipal Golf Course, donated to the city in 1936 by the Austin Lion's Club. The club house is visible in the center of the image, with holes surrounding. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: 1936/unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Aerial View of Zilker Park]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Zilker Park looking north. Shows the area of Barton Springs with Lady Bird Lake in the background
Date: unknown
Creator: Southwestern Aerial Survey
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[African-American families]

Description: Photograph of a family of African-Americans standing in front of a log cabin. A young girl stands in the open doorway of the cabin and looks on at the family portrait.
Date: [1860..1890]
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Airplane view of vicinity of Waller Creek and East First Street

Description: Photograph of Airplane view of vicinity of Waller Creek and East 1st Street. East 1st Street is visible diagonally down the center of the image from top to bottom, while Waller Creek cuts through the image from left to right.
Date: 19uu
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

All Tied up on Zilker Kite Field

Description: Photograph of "All tied up on Zilker kite field." Two teenagers try to untangle a number of kite strings while two girls stand by. They are in a field at Zilker Park in Austin.
Date: [1969..1979]
Creator: Austin Citizen
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Anderson High School students]

Description: Photograph of Anderson High School students lined up outside the schoolhouse which is either at Olive and Curve Streets or at Pennsylvania Street (currently Kealing Middle school). This class is composed of mostly female African American students.
Date: [1889, 1920]
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Arc welder at Weigl Iron Works]

Description: Photograph of a member of the Weigl family using an arc welder on a project. The Weigl Iron Works was founded in 1922 by German immigrant and founder Fortunat Weigl. In 1935 Weigl moved his foundry from its Exposition Boulevard location to 100 Red River location where it remained for several decades. He was joined in business by his sons Lee and Herbert who continued to operate after Fortunat's death in 1973 until their retirement in 1977. In 1978, the location was reopened as Iron Works BBQ in honor of the history at that location.
Date: 19uu
Creator: Austin Citizen Photograph
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Arts and crafts classes at Pan American Recreation Center

Description: Photograph of children painting papier mache elephants at the Pan American Recreation Center at an arts & crafts class. Two elephants sit on the table, nearly done. An open jar of paint and several towels sit on the table top. Two boys and three girls surround the table. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: 196u
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin Annual Kite Tournament, 1942

Description: Photograph of a group portrait of participants at the annual kite tournament featuring home made kites of various sizes flown by boys and a few girls. Most kites are decorated with a patriotic theme, in support of the American troops in World War II.
Date: March 15, 1942
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park

Description: Photograph of rear exterior of the Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park. Visible are: a tennis court; benches for watching matches; two workers changing out screens on the second floor windows. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: October 30, 1942
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin City Administration, 1881]

Description: Photograph of Austin city administration: Standing L to R: J.W. Howard, Treasurer; C.D. Johns, Attorney; Ben Thompson, City Marshall; E.B. Connell, City Clerk; - Sitting L to R: Fred A. Sterzing, City Assessor; Mayor L.M. Crooker; Dr. R.H.L. Bibb, Physician. The city was incorporated in 1836 when Republic of Texas Vice President Mirabeau B. Lamar proposed that the state capital, then located in Houston, be moved to the area that sat just north of the Colorado River in the township then called Waterloo. Shortly thereafter, the city was renamed in honor of Stephen F. Austin. 1881 was the year that Austin public schools first held classes, and the University of Texas opened its doors shortly afterwards in 1883. Austin continued to expand throughout the 1880s and late 19th century.
Date: 1881
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Community Garden near airport]

Description: Photograph of Austin Community Garden looking towards the airport. Rows of plants and a string fence separating rows are visible in the foreground. The airport control tower, airplanes and gates are visible behind the chain-link fence in the background.
Date: September 1975
Creator: Fluitt, Mike
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Dam broken in Colorado River flood]

Description: Photograph of Southeast view of the Austin Dam on the Colorado River after breaking during a flood. The dam was built in 1890 in an attempt to bring industry to the city, but failed after upriver storms sent a flood cracking the dam and killing eight people when the powerhouse flooded.
Date: 1900
Creator: Marks, H.R.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin High School 9B Class of 1920

Description: Photograph of the Austin High School 9B class of 1920. The group is posed outdoors with trees visible behind them. There are approximately 90 students.
Date: 1920
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin High School class of 1907

Description: Photograph of the twenty-four students in the Austin High School class of 1907. Bottom row (left to right): Ernest von Rosenberg, Tom Byrne, Harwood Stacey, Eugene Hill, Offie Leonard. Middle row (left to right): Arthur Crawford, Irene Maddox, Lillian Krohn, Eva von Homeyer, Louise Smith, Elva Powell, Amelia Nelson, Mabel Harrison, William Ruggles. Back row standing (left to right): Harris Brush, Mary Thaxton, Juanita Yarbrough, Leona Dean, Esther Bishop, Anna Maxwell, Josephine McGuire, P.J. Anthony, and William Jackson. Not present: Johanna Runge and Windom Burke.
Date: 1907
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin High School graduates of 1908

Description: Photograph of the Austin High School graduating class of 1908. Bottom row (left to right): John D. Miller, Ralph Goeth. Middle row (seated left to right): Walter Arlitt, Julius Runge, Robert F. Campbell, M.E. Rogers Jr., Raymond Phelps, Robert Bright, Rufus Waterson. Middle row (standing left to right): Lucy Blocker, Pauline von Rosenberg, Pauline Rex, Katie Clark, Laura Tucker, Janie Tannehill, Inez Slaughter, Salome Anthony, Lomie Layton, Louise Lambie, Cammie Briggs, May Belle Robbins, Lillian Clarke, Nannie von Rosenberg. Back row (standing left to right): Annie F. Campbell, Frankie Cochran, Florence Sears, Lena Rogan, Anna Magee, Agnes Robertson, Edna von Rosenberg, Mabel Maud. Absent: Nettie B. Sullivan (inset bottom right), Rosa Maas, and Preston Reynolds (not pictured).
Date: 1908
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin High School Hayne Society, 1920

Description: Photograph of the Hayne Society at Austin High School in the fall/winter of 1920. The club consists of 11 young, male students seated and standing in two rows in front of a wall of shrubbery. Leaves are on the ground.
Date: 1920
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896

Description: Photograph of Austin High School Mid A. Grade class portrait on April 13, 1896. Austin High School opened in 1881. The class consists of 22 young women and five young men seated and standing in front of a school building at 11th Street and Rio Grande Street. There is a broken window behind the woman (Clara Whitteu) on the far left of the group, and a man stands nearly out of frame on the far left. From left to right (first row, seated): Gene Clark, Annie Spence, Mamie Heflybower, Lenora Patterson, Nellie Brown, Haysie Heflybower, Edna Slaughter, Molly Alison, George Decherd; (second row standing and seated): Clara Whitteu, Doree Durfee, LuEmma Raymond, Nan Turner, Kate Mayes, Willie Smith, Gracie Taylor, Laura Hirshfeld, Mary Perry; (last row, seated and standing): Ira Hamilton, Bessie Walsh, Zella Swancoat, Erin Crane, Lula Rose, Scott Key, Ansell Carouth, Will Orr, and Harry Bach.
Date: April 13, 1896
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library