Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - 22 Matching Results

Search Results

Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896

Description: Photograph of Austin High School Mid A. Grade class portrait on April 13, 1896. Austin High School opened in 1881. The class consists of 22 young women and five young men seated and standing in front of a school building at 11th Street and Rio Grande Street. There is a broken window behind the woman (Clara Whitteu) on the far left of the group, and a man stands nearly out of frame on the far left. From left to right (first row, seated): Gene Clark, Annie Spence, Mamie Heflybower, Lenora Patterson, Nellie Brown, Haysie Heflybower, Edna Slaughter, Molly Alison, George Decherd; (second row standing and seated): Clara Whitteu, Doree Durfee, LuEmma Raymond, Nan Turner, Kate Mayes, Willie Smith, Gracie Taylor, Laura Hirshfeld, Mary Perry; (last row, seated and standing): Ira Hamilton, Bessie Walsh, Zella Swancoat, Erin Crane, Lula Rose, Scott Key, Ansell Carouth, Will Orr, and Harry Bach.
Date: April 13, 1896
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[City of Austin Takes Municipal Golf Course Deed]

Description: Photograph of Guiton Morgan, City Manager, (at left) accepting deed from John H. Tobin of Austin Lions Club. Tobin was club president 1919-1920. The city of Austin took over the Municipal Golf Course on April 1, 1937.
Date: April 1, 1937
Creator: Identification Bureau, Austin Police Department
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Construction of] Municipal Golf Course tool house

Description: Photograph of construction of the Austin Municipal Golf Course tool house, made of white bricks. Scaffolding circles the walls, and the support for the roof is visible. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and then donated to the city in 1936, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: April 8, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Construction of the Municipal Golf Course tool house]

Description: Photograph of construction workers work on building the tool house at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. A ladder leans on a scaffolding leading to the roof. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: April 8, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Guadalupe Street

Description: Photograph of Guadalupe Street taken from the west approximately where the present-day "The Drag" is located. A street car is in motion along the street. Texas Bookstore, University Co-Op and Roach Brothers pharmacy are on the west side of Guadalupe Street.
Date: April 17, 1927
Creator: Boone
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Lamar Boulevard]

Description: Photograph of Lamar Boulevard while under construction, looking south from 9th street. This was a Works Progress Administration project. Trees and houses line both sides of the street.
Date: April 2, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory
Location Info:
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Pan American Citizenship Class

Description: Photograph of ten elderly women and three men sit around a table at the Pan American Recreation Center for a United States citizenship class. A double sink and cupboards are in the background. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: April 19, 1961
Creator: Recreation Dept, City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Pan American Recreation Center] Tiny Tot trip to Hillcrest Farms

Description: Photograph of children petting a calf at Hillcrest Farms on a Tiny Tot field trip hosted by Pan American Recreation Center. A boy pets the calf while a young girl feeds the calf a treat. Another boy and girl look on. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: April 15, 1968
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[People at Barton Springs]

Description: Photograph of people sitting and standing along the side of the pool at Barton springs. Some are in swimming suits and others are in street clothes.
Date: April 10, 1937
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photography Lab., Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Street Car Bridge over Waller Creek]

Description: Photograph of the street car bridge over Waller Creek located at 1st and Red River. People are standing along the bridge and there is a home in the background. Note on photograph reads: "Street car bridge 1st & Red River Austin, Tex. 4-23-15."
Date: April 23, 1915
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Women Wading in Bull Creek]

Description: Photograph of six women wading in Bull Creek. They are holding up their skirts and pointing their toes at the camera. The names written on the back of the photo are (from left to right): Gertrude, Myrtie, Beulah, Ethel, Mamie McKenzie, and Zula Edens.
Date: April 21, 1913
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library