Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - 16 Matching Results

Search Results

[Austin Community Garden near airport]

Description: Photograph of Austin Community Garden looking towards the airport. Rows of plants and a string fence separating rows are visible in the foreground. The airport control tower, airplanes and gates are visible behind the chain-link fence in the background.
Date: September 1975
Creator: Fluitt, Mike
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Dan Davidson and Jack Robinson]

Description: Photograph of (left to right): Dan Davidson, Austin City Manager, shaking the hand of Jack Robinson, Director of Austin Parks and Recreation Department (facing) in an office. Architectural plans lean against the wall behind manager Davidson.
Date: September 19, 1973
Creator: City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Dillman's Farm at Austin Community Gardens]

Description: Photograph of a section of garden at the Austin Community Garden. A wooden sign that says "Dillman's Farm" is in the foreground, indicating the plot as belonging to the Dillmans. Wooden stakes and leafy plants are visible in front of a chain-link fence running along the border of the garden. A hose snakes up into view at the back of the Dillman plot.
Date: September 1975
Creator: Fluitt, Mike
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[A. J. Campbell search near Goliad, September 1958, with Victoria County Sheriff M. W. "Monte" Marshall, Goliad County Sheriff A. Claude Taylor, and Travis County Sheriff T. O. Lang]

Description: Photograph of five men, four white and one black, next to a car with an open door. One man, the Goliad Sherriff, is sitting in the car, wearing a cowboy hat and with his cowboy-boot clad feet out on the ground. He holds a flashlight trained on several papers, also in his hands, and the other men lean intently in to see the papers. The two men standing on either side of him are the Victoria Sherriff on the left and Travis County Sherriff T.O. Lang on the right. They also wear cowboy hats, and Lang wears a badge above his left chest pocket. The man at the far right, who is standing behind the open car door, wears a Texas State Trooper uniform. The young black man, also on the right of the photo and leaning on the car door, wears dark trousers, a light checked shirt, and a cap. The party is searching for A. J. Campbell, Sr., who kidnapped his two young children from his estranged wife in Goliad, Texas. He committed suicide, leaving a note which said that he had "buried both children." The car, with the suicide note, was found in Travis County, and it is possible that this group is looking at the note. The bodies of Myrisha Campbell and A. J. Campbell, Jr., have never been found, and their cases remain open.
Date: September 1958
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Opening of Pan American Recreation Center

Description: Photograph of the side of the newly built Pan American Recreation Center at 2100 East 3rd Street. Swing sets are behind the building. The previous Pan Am Rec Center existed at 3rd and Comal Streets. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: September 1956
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Opening of the Pan American Recreation Center

Description: Photograph of the interior of the basketball court in the gymnasium at the opening of Pan American Recreation Center at 2100 East 3rd Street. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: September 1956
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Pan American Recreation Center, exterior, at opening]

Description: Photograph of the exterior rear of the Pan American Recreation Center at the opening on 2100 East 3rd Street. The ground is not yet seeded and playground equipment is visible behind a fence in the right. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: September 1956
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Photograph of Sunday Break II Concert]

Description: Photograph of general view of Sunday Break II rock concert from on stage taken by Marlon Taylor. The concert was held at Steiner Ranch. Featured artists included The Band, Chicago, England Dan & John Ford Coley, Fleetwood Mac, Peter Frampton (who played Sunday Break in May of the same year), and Steve Miller Band. Sunday Break II was not as successful as the first Sunday Break due to the oppressive heat and trouble for crowds getting to the festival. The crowd estimated at 45,000 out of an expected 100,000; and the income gathered $350,000 out of an expected $800,000, forcing MayDay Productions (event organizers) into bankruptcy.
Date: September 5, 1976
Creator: Taylor, Marlon
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Rosewood Park for Negroes

Description: Photograph of a group of black children watching a youth prepare to dive from the diving board into the public pool at Rosewood Park.
Date: September 8, 1938
Creator: Ellison Photo Service, Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Student looking at University of Texas Main Building]

Description: Photograph of student with backpack in foreground with U.T. Tower in background. Students are walking around the main campus in front of the main building. Several students are sitting in front of the steps. Several tables are visible in the background. An event is taking place.
Date: September 1975
Creator: Fluitt, Mike
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library