Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - 26 Matching Results

Search Results

[Arch construction of the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]

Description: Photograph of the construction of an arch at the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park. A man in a fedora sits astride a semi-circular laminated wooden truss, working on joining it at the center. This truss, and two completed trusses in the background are framed against the sky. The trusses are supported by posts, and temporarily joined together with wooden cross braces. The top of a wooden scaffold is visible in the lower right corner of the image.
Date: December 10, 1943
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Construction of the Rosewood Recreation Center, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]

Description: Photograph of construction of the Negro Recreation Building in Rosewood Park. Three men stand on the back of a 1930s flat bed truck, as they use a crane mounted on the truck to lift half of a laminated wooden semi-circular arched truss into place. Two of the trusses are already completed in the background. The scaffolding used to support workers joining the trusses at their centers stands to the back of the truck. The trusses are joined by cross members, and the half truss erected to the left in the photograph is supported by a post, awaiting the other half of the truss. Two wooden saw horses and several stacks of bags of cement(?) are on the ground under and near the trusses. This photograph appeared in the 1944 Annual Report of the Austin Recreation Department, on page 48, labeled "New Gymnasium - Auditorium at Rosewood".
Date: December 10, 1943
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[East 8th Street at Sabine]

Description: Photograph of E. 8th St. looking east from Sabine St. after paving. Cars and businesses, including East Produce, line the sides of the street.
Date: December 21, 1944
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory
Location Info:
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Library interior of Austin High School with students reading at tables, Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of students reading at long wooden tables in the Austin High School library, located at 1202 Rio Grande. The students are seated in wooden chairs with vertical back slats. The circulation desk is visible at the back of the room, and there are two framed prints on the walls. There are four pendant schoolhouse lamps on the ceiling, and a ceiling fan over the circulation desk. The name Mameye Robison is written on the foreedge of a book stacked on a table near the front of the photograph.
Date: December 11, 1934
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Pan American Tiny Tot Christmas party]

Description: Photograph of Santa Claus visiting the children at the Pan American Recreation Center Tiny Tot Christmas party. A girl sits on Santa's lap while the rest of the children wait and watch from tables around the room. They wear paper reindeer hats and have candy canes. Christmas decorations include Santa's sleigh with three reindeer on the far wall.
Date: December 1966
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Seaholm Power Plant Intake Facility]

Description: Photograph of the lake side view of the Seaholm Power Plant Intake facility. The Art Deco concrete facility was designed by Burns & McDonnell Engineering Company and was built in two phases in 1950 and 1955 by Odom Construction Company. The facility operated as a power plant until 1989 and was finally decommissioned in 1996 by the city of Austin. The intake facility is located on the shores of Lady Bird Lake and the Ann and Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail.
Date: December 1, 1950
Creator: City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library