Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - 5 Matching Results

Search Results

[Austin City Administration, 1881]

Description: Photograph of Austin city administration: Standing L to R: J.W. Howard, Treasurer; C.D. Johns, Attorney; Ben Thompson, City Marshall; E.B. Connell, City Clerk; - Sitting L to R: Fred A. Sterzing, City Assessor; Mayor L.M. Crooker; Dr. R.H.L. Bibb, Physician. The city was incorporated in 1836 when Republic of Texas Vice President Mirabeau B. Lamar proposed that the state capital, then located in Houston, be moved to the area that sat just north of the Colorado River in the township then called Waterloo. Shortly thereafter, the city was renamed in honor of Stephen F. Austin. 1881 was the year that Austin public schools first held classes, and the University of Texas opened its doors shortly afterwards in 1883. Austin continued to expand throughout the 1880s and late 19th century.
Date: 1881
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Capitol Building Burning]

Description: Photograph of the Capitol building on fire, with smoke emanating from the top floor and roof of the building. Onlookers are gathered in the street; also visible are horse-drawn fire engines.
Date: [1881..1888]
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Temporary Capitol Building]

Description: Photograph of the building that served as the temporary state capitol while the current capitol building was under construction. Some horse-drawn carriages are parked in front of the building.
Date: [1881,1888]
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library