Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - 6 Matching Results

Search Results

[Capitol Cornerstone Dedication]

Description: Photograph of a crowd of people gathered for the cornerstone dedication during the construction of the state Capitol. Some onlookers can be seen sitting and standing on top of the derricks used for the construction.
Date: March 2, 1885
Location Info:
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

D.E. Hall School of Domestic Economy

Description: Photograph of a group of women sitting out front of the D.E. Hall of Domestic Economy. These women were associated with the Young Women's Christian Association as indicated by notes on the back of the photograph. Stamped on one of the boards of the school is [CALC]ASIEU LUMBER referring to Calcasieu Lumber Company which was established in Austin,Texas in the early 1880s.
Date: [1885, 1920]
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[St. David's Episcopal Church exterior]

Description: Photograph of an oblique view of the south front and west side of Saint David's Episcopal Church located at 301 East 8th Street. The gothic revival stone building has punched gothic windows, edged with stone quoins on the south facade, engaged pilasters and dormer vents. The symetrical south front has a central tower and castleated parapets. Two entrances are visible, both on the west facade: one on the south end and one on the north. There are four children standing in front of the west facade facing the camera, and what appears to be gas lamp standard at the southwest corner. The building was originally constructed in 1854. In 1870 the south addition was constructed, and the south tower was completed in 1885.
Date: 1885/1900
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library