Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion showing the east elevation from across the street from the roof of the temporary capitol. The columns and entablature are painted dark shades; the porch is extended; and the trees have matured. The picket fence surrounding the lot steps down for the variation in grade. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1894 was Governor James Stephen Hogg. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Photograph of St. Mary's Academy, a private school for girls. It was established in 1874 by the Holy Cross Sisters who assumed operations of a local parish school from the Sisters of Divine Providence. At first, Mother Angela Guillespie and Sister M. Austin did all of the teaching and cooking, but expansion was necessary as enrollment increased in 1875. This building was built in 1885 in the face of increased enrollment. By 1947, the sisters moved the school to a bigger location, and this building was sold and demolished on July 30, 1954.