Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - 37 Matching Results

Search Results

[Painting of Barton Springs and Mill]

Description: Photograph of a copy of an oil painting by A.M. Ramsey in 1882 of Barton Springs and Mill. The scene consists of the springs and creek in the foreground, as well as people and animals in and around them. The mill and other buildings are in the midground and background.
Date: 1882
Creator: Ramsey, A.M.
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Sixth Street]

Description: Photograph of Sixth Street in Austin. Buildings are visible on either side, and streetcar tracks are in the road. A few horse-drawn carriages are in the road. A sign is visible for L.W. Culver Furniture. A tall electric pol is on the right side.
Date: [1880,1900]
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[St. David's Episcopal Church exterior]

Description: Photograph of an oblique view of the south front and west side of Saint David's Episcopal Church located at 301 East 8th Street. The gothic revival stone building has punched gothic windows, edged with stone quoins on the south facade, engaged pilasters and dormer vents. The symetrical south front has a central tower and castleated parapets. Two entrances are visible, both on the west facade: one on the south end and one on the north. There are four children standing in front of the west facade facing the camera, and what appears to be gas lamp standard at the southwest corner. The building was originally constructed in 1854. In 1870 the south addition was constructed, and the south tower was completed in 1885.
Date: 1885/1900
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Temporary Capitol Building]

Description: Photograph of the building that served as the temporary state capitol while the current capitol building was under construction. Some horse-drawn carriages are parked in front of the building.
Date: [1881,1888]
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[View of Southest Austin]

Description: Photograph of Southeast Austin, with Congress Avenue extending down the right side of the frame and the Colorado River in the background. The caption on the back reads: "View of southeast Austin taken from Capitol Dome, showing Driskill Hotel, St. Mary's Convent, Old Catholic Church, Methodist Church opposite (now Labor Temple), Old Jail and Jailer's residence in immediate foreground. Photographed by Charles B. Wheelock, Boston, Mass sometime between the years 1889 and 1894."
Date: [1889..1894]
Creator: Wheelock, Charles B.
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Back to Top of Screen