Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - 103 Matching Results

Search Results

Aerial view of Municipal Golf Course

Description: Photograph of An aerial view of Austin Municipal Golf Course, donated to the city in 1936 by the Austin Lion's Club. The club house is visible in the center of the image, with holes surrounding. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: 1936/unknown
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin High School students read at long tables in the school library, Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of students reading at long wooden tables in the school library at Austin High School. They are seated in wooden chairs with vertical back slats. The view is taken through an ornamental wrought iron arch, featuring scrolls, a Texas star and the letters "AHS" at each top corner. The iron work may be attributable to the Weigl Iron Works, a local business known for architectural and decorative iron work.
Date: 1934
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Municipal Airport]

Description: Photograph of the Austin Municipal Airport. A Braniff Airways Inc. airplane is in the center of the photograph. There is a Humble aviation gasoline and lubricants pump in the photograph.
Date: October 22, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Library
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Municipal Golf Course] caretaker's house

Description: Photograph of the caretaker's house at the Austin municipal golf course. The house is made of white brick with several screened windows and a screen door facing a concrete patio. A wooden ladder leans on the side of the house to the roof. Construction debris litters the grassless yard. A shed sits behind the house. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 14, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Municipal Golf Course club house]

Description: Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course Club House front elevation. Screened double doors, a columned entrance, and gable windows are visible. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: 1937
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Municipal Golf Course - Fairway View]

Description: Photograph of an open fairway at the Austin Municipal Golf Course on Lake Austin Boulevard, with trees and other vegetation framing the grass surface. Unpaved trails lead to the fairway, and a small house is visible in the distance. The designation "#3" appears in the lower right hand corner of the image.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Public Library]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the public library building located at 819 Congress Avenue on the second floor above the newspaper Pressler and Ziller on March 7, 1933. The library opened at this location on February 16, 1926. Grace Delano Clark served as volunteer librarian. Shortly thereafter, the library moved to its first building on West 9th street and Guadalupe street. "Gossip" written and underlined beneath date on back of photo.
Date: March 7, 1933
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin School Bus with group of students and teachers in front of Austin High School, Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of a group of students, teachers and Arthur N. McCallum, superintendent of Austin Public Schools, standing with an Austin School Bus in front of the Austin High School campus at 1202 Rio Grande. McCallum would later have an Austin high school named for him.
Date: 1934~
Creator: Boone, Alanson D.
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Bathers at Deep Eddy]

Description: Photograph of Deep Eddy swimming pool looking northwest towards the dressing rooms. People swimming, others sitting on the edge of the pool. View from the deep end of the pool. Deep Eddy began as a natural swimming hole in the Colorado River and was expanded into a man-made swimming pool in 1915 by A.J. Eilers, Sr. Deep Eddy pool is the oldest swimming pool in Texas and is operated and maintained by the City of Austin.
Date: 1936
Creator: Austin Police Department Identification Bureau
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Boys Holding Centennial Kite]

Description: Photograph of two boys standing on a field holding a kite with the word "Centennial" on the tail of the kite. The boy on the right is Fred Werkenthin. Possibly taken as part of a centennial celebration of Austin becoming the capital of the Republic of Texas.
Date: 1939?
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[E.C. Nauert at Public Market]

Description: Photograph of a man standing, holding his ribbon next to a bin of produce at city market. Caption on back of photo reads: "1st prize winner Mr. E. C. Nauert, New Sweden. Dedication of Public Market."
Date: June 6, 1935
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Children swimming at Rosewood Park]

Description: Photograph of a group of African-American children swimming and splashing at the Rosewood Park for Negroes swimming pool. Extensive use of swimming pool and facilities demonstrates success of this recreation center.
Date: August 19, 1938
Creator: Ellison Photo Service
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[City of Austin Takes Municipal Golf Course Deed]

Description: Photograph of Guiton Morgan, City Manager, (at left) accepting deed from John H. Tobin of Austin Lions Club. Tobin was club president 1919-1920. The city of Austin took over the Municipal Golf Course on April 1, 1937.
Date: April 1, 1937
Creator: Identification Bureau, Austin Police Department
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Club house at Municipal Golf Course [in snow]

Description: Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course Club House entrance covered in snow. Wooden chairs and a bench sit on the concrete patio to the left of the double screen door entrance. Two large bushes flank the walkway. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: November 1, 1937
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Club House at the Golf Course

Description: Photograph of the Austin Municipal Golf Course club house and surrounding landscape. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: 1934/unknown
Creator: Identification Bureau, Austin Police Dept.
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Colorado River Flood]

Description: Photograph of the 1935 Texas flood of the Colorado River. The photograph was taken of Congress Avenue from the south. The Capitol building can be seen in the background of the photograph.
Date: June 15, 1935
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Construction of] Municipal Golf Course tool house

Description: Photograph of construction of the Austin Municipal Golf Course tool house, made of white bricks. Scaffolding circles the walls, and the support for the roof is visible. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and then donated to the city in 1936, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: April 8, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Construction of the Municipal Golf Course tool house]

Description: Photograph of construction workers work on building the tool house at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. A ladder leans on a scaffolding leading to the roof. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: April 8, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library