Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[19th Street Looking West]

Description: Photograph of 19th Street (now Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.) looking west from about Trinity. Buildings line the left side of the street and construction vehicles and workers are on the right side.
Date: January 19, 1965
Creator: City of Austin
Location Info:
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

All Tied up on Zilker Kite Field

Description: Photograph of "All tied up on Zilker kite field." Two teenagers try to untangle a number of kite strings while two girls stand by. They are in a field at Zilker Park in Austin.
Date: [1969..1979]
Creator: Austin Citizen
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

"Andrews Day"

Description: Photograph of the going away party for Andrew Bragg, janitor, 1950-1966, in the staff lounge in the basement of the Austin Public Library. L-R: Ann Bowden, Janett Varner, Mary Carter Rice, ?, Annette Evans, Bragg, ? Diane Moore, Tommy McCalla. Andrew Bragg stands in the foreground behind a cake with his back partially turned to the camera.
Date: July 21, 1966
Creator: Vaughn, Ronald
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin High [School] R.O.T.C., 1968

Description: Photograph of Austin High R.O.T.C. in 1968. (This is a portion of a panoramic AR.U.006(235) Panoramic Collection; section 4 of 6). Austin High School opened in 1881 and was the first public high school in Texas. In 1968 the campus was located at 1212 Rio Grande Street.
Date: August 1968
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association at Municipal Golf Course

Description: Photograph of Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer and spectators at start of drive.The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer and family at Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a family of four featuring an AWPLGA golfer, her husband, son, and daughter, on fairway during an AWPLGA tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a woman golfer in view between tree branches at the AWPLGA tournament at Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer swinging at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a golfer swinging on a drive at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of four golfers standing on the green at the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association trophy at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a trophy awarded at the AWPLGA tournamen at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Spectators are visible in the background. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Awards at the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a woman being presented with a trophy on green at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Spectators stand to the right. A man operates a camera in the bed of a truck on the left. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

AWPLGA at Muny

Description: Group portrait of golfers from AWPLGA, the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association, drinking Jax beer. The stand outside under some strands of lights. A small truck is in the foreground.
Date: [1960, 1974]
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[L.C. Anderson High School class of 1960]

Description: Photograph of Anderson High School graduating class of 1960. The school was originally named E. H. Anderson and later renamed L. C. Anderson. The school, located at 900 Thompson Street, was Austin's all-black high school for many years until students were integrated following desegregation.
Date: 1960
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Construction of Austin Municipal Airport]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of construction of the Austin Municipal Airport. The runways, control tower, two hangars, and several other buildings are visible. Cars are parked in the parking lot. In the foreground is a 4-lane divided highway and there are houses in the background.
Date: 1960
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Construction of the control tower at Mueller Municipal Airport in Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of the aircraft control tower under construction at Mueller Municipal Airport. There is scaffolding around the concrete interior support structure, and board formwork is in place for pouring a flared level near the top of the tower. In front of the tower, the scalloped metal terminal roof is under construction, and there are several wooden construction shacks in foreground.
Date: 1960
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library