Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - 39 Matching Results

Search Results

[19th Street Looking West]

Description: Photograph of 19th Street (now Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.) looking west from about Trinity. Buildings line the left side of the street and construction vehicles and workers are on the right side.
Date: January 19, 1965
Creator: City of Austin
Location Info:
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

All Tied up on Zilker Kite Field

Description: Photograph of "All tied up on Zilker kite field." Two teenagers try to untangle a number of kite strings while two girls stand by. They are in a field at Zilker Park in Austin.
Date: [1969..1979]
Creator: Austin Citizen
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin High [School] R.O.T.C., 1968

Description: Photograph of Austin High R.O.T.C. in 1968. (This is a portion of a panoramic AR.U.006(235) Panoramic Collection; section 4 of 6). Austin High School opened in 1881 and was the first public high school in Texas. In 1968 the campus was located at 1212 Rio Grande Street.
Date: August 1968
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association at Municipal Golf Course

Description: Photograph of Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer and spectators at start of drive.The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer and family at Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a family of four featuring an AWPLGA golfer, her husband, son, and daughter, on fairway during an AWPLGA tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a woman golfer in view between tree branches at the AWPLGA tournament at Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer swinging at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a golfer swinging on a drive at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of four golfers standing on the green at the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association trophy at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a trophy awarded at the AWPLGA tournamen at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Spectators are visible in the background. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Awards at the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a woman being presented with a trophy on green at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Spectators stand to the right. A man operates a camera in the bed of a truck on the left. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[L.C. Anderson High School class of 1960]

Description: Photograph of Anderson High School graduating class of 1960. The school was originally named E. H. Anderson and later renamed L. C. Anderson. The school, located at 900 Thompson Street, was Austin's all-black high school for many years until students were integrated following desegregation.
Date: 1960
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation and north elevation. The image shows the grounds and entry. The building has a dark downspout on this side of the building. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1967 was Governor John Connally. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1967
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion, east elevation. The building is two stories, with Ionic-style columns that run the length; there is a porch on each floor and the upper porch has intact framing, though the screens have been removed. A dark downspout is visible on the north elevation. Aluminum fencing is visible behind the mansion and several young trees are on the lawn.
Date: 1962
Location Info:
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Governor's Mansion fence]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion east elevation seen behind whitewashed brick and iron fence and gate naming the house as the "Governor's Mansion." Tree visible immediately behind the fence and the mansion is visible under a cloud-filled sky in the background. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1969 was Governor Preston Smith. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1969
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Inter-playground table tennis tournament at Austin Athletic Center

Description: Photograph of inter-playground table tennis tournament at Austin Athletic Club with tables of both singles and doubles playing on the interior basketball courts. The bleachers are full of women and children watching. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: June 21, 1961
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Mrs. Mary Anne Joseph at Elisabet Ney Museum

Description: Photograph of Mrs. Mary Anne Joseph looking at a book inscription reading, "Very sincerely bride Nell Taylor, Feb 16, 1929, Elisabet Ney Museum" in front of a classic bust. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Date: February 2, 1968
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Pan American Citizenship Class

Description: Photograph of ten elderly women and three men sit around a table at the Pan American Recreation Center for a United States citizenship class. A double sink and cupboards are in the background. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: April 19, 1961
Creator: Recreation Dept, City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Pan American Recreation Center flag football

Description: Photograph of children, aged about 10-13 play flag football at the Pan Am Recreation Center. A few boys have jerseys that say "Pan Am Aces" on the front; the rest play in plain clothes. A boy in the foreground raises a cup and looks at the camera. The boy next to him leans forward, ready to catch a pass thrown by a boy in sunglasses. Other children stand around casually. The game is not in full-play. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: November 1966
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library