Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - 1,017 Matching Results

Search Results

The 2nd State Capitol

Description: Photograph of the 2nd capitol building for the state of Texas. There is a attached to the bottom right hand corner of the photograph a label that reads "The 2nd State Capital [sic]. Located on the site of the present Capital [sic], Burned in 1881." The land in front of the building is terraced and a pathway extends from the entrance down the terraces.
Date: [1853, 1881]
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion. "The Governor's Mansion after Texas became a state in 1846, and stands today, although much altered and improved. It is still the Governor's Mansion. It was and is located one black SW of the Capitol." is written on back of photograph.
Date: 1860
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion view from across Colorado Street to the northwest, looking at the front (east) and south elevations, showing unpainted brick, people sitting on the front porch, the original staircase, and the original cantilevered balcony.
Date: 1866
Location Info:
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Man on Horse on East Sixth Street]

Description: Photograph of 200 East Sixth Street circa 1866. The man on horse is William Oliphant who owned a jewelry store on Pecan Street in 1852. The child with him is Will Carter. The Missouri House, Michael Ziller residence, is in the background.
Date: 1866~
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Scholz Garden]

Description: Photograph of the exterior of Scholz Garden (Scholz Garten/Scholz Beer Garden) with an unidentified man standing in front of the door.
Date: [1866,1900]
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Pecan Street Looking East from Oliphant's Photo Gallery

Description: Photograph of East Pecan Street (now 6th street) with William Oliphant (who had a jewelry store on Pecan Street in 1852) on a horse. The child next to the horse is Will Carter. A building in the background is visible and has "Missouri House" painted on the side. It was the residence of Michael Ziller. A sign also hangs from the second floor balcony of the house reading "Austin Motel." Also visible in the background is England & Hannig Cabinet Makers.
Date: November 1866
Creator: Oliphant, W.J.
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of Texas Governor's Mansion front and south elevation, unpainted brick, with fence and grounds. The upper balcony is not connected to the columns. Built by Abner Cook in 1855 and continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1870 is Governor Edmund J. Davis. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a National historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1870
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Train on Waller Creek Bridge]

Description: Photograph of the front view of a steam train paused on the Waller Creek bridge in Austin. Buildings can be seen on both the right and left hand side of the bridge. There are passengers visible on the platform to the left of the train. On the back of the photograph there is a note that reads "With a little steam left this forerunner of a soon-to-be speeding civilization has stopped on the little Waller Creek bridge in Austin to let the passengers from Houston and other points out a the Depot House, Christmas day, 1871." Also on the back there is a note that reads "504 E 5th(?) Houston & Texas Central."
Date: December 25, 1871
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Governor's Mansion view from the old Capitol building]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion from the site of the old Capitol building looking at the West and north elevations of the Governor's Manstion, grounds, street, barn and picket fence. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1874 was Governor Richard Coke. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1874
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library