Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - 351 Matching Results

Search Results

Bergstrom Air Force Base [aerial view]

Description: Photograph of aerial view of Bergstrom Air Force Base. Fog obscures landscape behind the base. Runways and buildings on the base are visible as well as some roads surrounding the base. Bergstrom Air Force Base was activated during in 1942 as a troop carrier training airfield. During the Cold War, it served as a Strategic Air Command base. Later, it transferred to the Tactical Air Command and became a major base for the U.S. Air Force's RF-4C reconnaissance fighter fleet. At the time of its closure, it was assigned to the Air Combat Command (ACC). The airfield was then converted for civilian use, with Austin-Bergstrom International Airport beginning passenger flights in 1999.
Date: 19uu
Creator: United States Army Air Forces, Photo Section
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Municipal Auditorium under construction]

Description: Photograph of the Municipal Auditiorium under construction looking west from South 1st Street in Austin. Exposed columns and curved beams of the dome are visible. The Auditorium, designed by the Austin firm Jessen, Jessen, Millhouse & Greeven, opened on January 5, 1959.
Date: 195u
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Wildcat Orchestra at Zilker Hillside Theater]

Description: Photograph of Photograph of the orchestra from a summer musical "Wildcat" performed on stage at the open-air Zilker Hillside Theater in Austin. The orchestra sits on a raised platform while spectators sit on the ground surrounding.
Date: 1962-08-23/1962-08-25
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Interior of Austin Atheltic Club with scaffolding before painting]

Description: Photograph of interior view showing the scaffolding used in painting the interior of the Austin Athletic Club building and the condition of building before painting. Volleyball nets stretch across two courts, with empty bleachers visible in background. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: February 10, 1943
Creator: Burea of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Frank Albrecht in an equipment closet at the Austin Recreation Center]

Description: Photograph of Franch Albrecht putting a volleyball onto a top shelf in an activities closet at the Austin Athletic Club (renamed Austin Recreation Center in 1970). Various other items for activities are on the shelves such as checkers and ping-pong balls, as well as other supplies such as water sprinklers, paint, and electrical supplies. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: 1955
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park

Description: Photograph of rear exterior of the Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park. Visible are: a tennis court; benches for watching matches; two workers changing out screens on the second floor windows. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: October 30, 1942
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Young dancers at the Austin Recreation Center]

Description: Photograph of Cheryl Block (8) & Marissa Nordstom at the Austin Recreation Center at Shoal Creek by House Park. Cheryl and Marissa look at their feet as they perform dance steps out of unison. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: 197u
Creator: Austin Citizen
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Women's gym class stretching at Austin Athletic Center]

Description: Photograph of a large women's gym class lying in three rows on the floor on their left sides with their heads propped on their left arms, right arm crossed in front of their torsos, legs straight and toes pointed: ready to stretch. Their coats and outer garments are strewn on the wooden bleachers on the right background. A basketball hoop and archery target is visible in the rear of the building. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: 1940/unknown
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Women's gym class at the Austin Athletic Club]

Description: Photograph of a women's gym class at Austin Athletic Club. These twenty-five women appear to range in age from their twenties to their mid to late thirties. They wear short-sleeved white blouses and dark colored shorts with high-top lace-up sneakers. They stand on the floor and first step of the wooden bleachers of the interior volleyball courts. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: 1940/unknown
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Frank Albrecht cleaning out Austin Athletic Club]

Description: Photograph of Frank Albrecht looking through a trash can of sporting equipment at the Austin Athletic Club. Large light fixtures, boxes, equipment bags, and other debrs is piled around him. A vending machine is visible on the left behind the open glass sliding doors. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: 1955
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Inter-playground table tennis tournament at Austin Athletic Center

Description: Photograph of inter-playground table tennis tournament at Austin Athletic Club with tables of both singles and doubles playing on the interior basketball courts. The bleachers are full of women and children watching. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: June 21, 1961
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Awards at the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a woman being presented with a trophy on green at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Spectators stand to the right. A man operates a camera in the bed of a truck on the left. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association at Municipal Golf Course

Description: Photograph of Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer and spectators at start of drive.The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association trophy at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a trophy awarded at the AWPLGA tournamen at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Spectators are visible in the background. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Construction of the Municipal Golf Course tool house]

Description: Photograph of construction workers work on building the tool house at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. A ladder leans on a scaffolding leading to the roof. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: April 8, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Construction of] Municipal Golf Course tool house

Description: Photograph of construction of the Austin Municipal Golf Course tool house, made of white bricks. Scaffolding circles the walls, and the support for the roof is visible. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and then donated to the city in 1936, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: April 8, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer and family at Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a family of four featuring an AWPLGA golfer, her husband, son, and daughter, on fairway during an AWPLGA tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Young fishermen at Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farm]

Description: Photograph of a family standing around a creek from which two children are fishing. The children, a boy between five and six years old and a girl between nine and twelve, hold fishing rods with lines cast into the water; a man sits on a log and watches. Other adults also stand on the creek bank. In 1852, Frederick and Harriet B. Jourdan settled on the site near Walnut Creek with their children. In 1956, grandchildren Laura and Eugene Giles, donated the core of their grandparents' property to the Heritage Society of Austin, in order to preserve the pioneer experience. The site and its museum operated under the auspices of the Austin Natural Science Association and later by the Parks and Recreation Department of the city of Austin until it was transferred back to the Heritage Society of Austin in 2003. Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms operates multiple sites today. Pioneer Farms is a member of the American Association of Museums, the Association of Living History Farms and Museums, the American Association for State and Local History, the Texas Association of Museums and the Austin Museum Partnership.Pioneer Farms is a registered Austin Historic Landmark and a designated Heritage Tourism Destination Site. Our Pioneer School is community-education partner with the Austin Community College.
Date: [1980..]
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library