Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - 38 Matching Results

Search Results

[Austin City Administration, 1881]

Description: Photograph of Austin city administration: Standing L to R: J.W. Howard, Treasurer; C.D. Johns, Attorney; Ben Thompson, City Marshall; E.B. Connell, City Clerk; - Sitting L to R: Fred A. Sterzing, City Assessor; Mayor L.M. Crooker; Dr. R.H.L. Bibb, Physician. The city was incorporated in 1836 when Republic of Texas Vice President Mirabeau B. Lamar proposed that the state capital, then located in Houston, be moved to the area that sat just north of the Colorado River in the township then called Waterloo. Shortly thereafter, the city was renamed in honor of Stephen F. Austin. 1881 was the year that Austin public schools first held classes, and the University of Texas opened its doors shortly afterwards in 1883. Austin continued to expand throughout the 1880s and late 19th century.
Date: 1881
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Temporary Capitol Building]

Description: Photograph of the building that served as the temporary state capitol while the current capitol building was under construction. Some horse-drawn carriages are parked in front of the building.
Date: [1881,1888]
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Capitol Construction]

Description: Photograph of a close up view of the construction of the Capitol building. A man stands on top of a high wall while a few other men on scaffolding guide a pillar, attached to a crane, into place.
Date: 1886~
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of exterior front of Texas Governor's Mansion. The columns are dark, and the grounds are a bit unkempt and the windows shuttered. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1886 was Governor John Ireland. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1886
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of exterior front of Texas Governor's Mansion. The columns are dark, and the grounds are a bit unkempt and the windows shuttered. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1886 was Governor Lawrence Sullivan Ross. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1888
Creator: Hillyer, H. B.
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

D.E. Hall School of Domestic Economy

Description: Photograph of a group of women sitting out front of the D.E. Hall of Domestic Economy. These women were associated with the Young Women's Christian Association as indicated by notes on the back of the photograph. Stamped on one of the boards of the school is [CALC]ASIEU LUMBER referring to Calcasieu Lumber Company which was established in Austin,Texas in the early 1880s.
Date: [1885, 1920]
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

1887 Graduating class of Austin High School

Description: Photograph of the 1887 graduating class of Austin High School. Front row (left to right): Pearl Caswell, Nannie Kelley, Florence Collins, Lucille James. Middle row (left to right): Eliza Mitchell, J. H. Bryant (professor), Minnie Sykes. Back row standing (left to right): unidentified woman, Mila Morris, Janie Maxwell, unidentified woman, Eve Sadler, Gertrude Whitis, Helen Grant, and William Gorden.
Date: 1887
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Sixth Street]

Description: Photograph of Sixth Street in Austin. Buildings are visible on either side, and streetcar tracks are in the road. A few horse-drawn carriages are in the road. A sign is visible for L.W. Culver Furniture. A tall electric pol is on the right side.
Date: [1880, 1900]
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Capitol Building Burning]

Description: Photograph of the Capitol building on fire, with smoke emanating from the top floor and roof of the building. Onlookers are gathered in the street; also visible are horse-drawn fire engines.
Date: [1881..1888]
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library