Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Construction of the Rosewood Recreation Center, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]

Description: Photograph of construction of the Negro Recreation Building in Rosewood Park. Three men stand on the back of a 1930s flat bed truck, as they use a crane mounted on the truck to lift half of a laminated wooden semi-circular arched truss into place. Two of the trusses are already completed in the background. The scaffolding used to support workers joining the trusses at their centers stands to the back of the truck. The trusses are joined by cross members, and the half truss erected to the left in the photograph is supported by a post, awaiting the other half of the truss. Two wooden saw horses and several stacks of bags of cement(?) are on the ground under and near the trusses. This photograph appeared in the 1944 Annual Report of the Austin Recreation Department, on page 48, labeled "New Gymnasium - Auditorium at Rosewood".
Date: December 10, 1943
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Children around USN sand sculpture at Sandcraft]

Description: Photograph of a group of children around a sandbox with a sand sculpture of an anchor and the initials U.S.N. (United States Navy) imprinted over it at Sandcraft Park.
Date: June 23, 1943
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photography Laboratory
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Arch construction of the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]

Description: Photograph of the construction of an arch at the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park. A man in a fedora sits astride a semi-circular laminated wooden truss, working on joining it at the center. This truss, and two completed trusses in the background are framed against the sky. The trusses are supported by posts, and temporarily joined together with wooden cross braces. The top of a wooden scaffold is visible in the lower right corner of the image.
Date: December 10, 1943
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Ariel view of Camp Swift including Headquarters, Post Finance Office, U. S. Post Office and north cantonment area]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Camp Swift Headquarters, Finance Building, U. S. Post Office and a portion of the north cantonment area. The long wooden buildings are arranged parallel to each other, with the two-story Headquarters building in the center and the one-story Finance and Post Office buildings to each side. A flag pole with flag is visible in the foreground, and the cantonment area buildings are in the background.
Date: 1942/1945
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[A United States Army private and a woman in Austin's U.S.O. Club]

Description: Photograph of a man and a woman seated at a wooden table at Austin's U.S.O. club. Each holds a bottle of 7up with a straw in it. The man is wearing a United States Army enlisted man's uniform, consisting of a jacket, shirt, tie and pants, and the woman is wearing a dress. There is an empty ashtray on the table in front of them. Austin's U.S.O. Club was located at 111-115 East 6th Street.
Date: 1942/1945
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Army enlisted men and women in civilian dress pose with leis at the Austin USO Club]

Description: Photograph of a group of soldiers standing on a stage with women at the U.S.O. Club. All are wearing leis, and some of the soldiers wear white t-shirts with their uniform pants. Most of the women are wearing colorful cotton dresses or skirts. One couple is holding a U.S.O. flag. Two soldiers and one woman are standing on a ladder leading up to the stage. The people look like they are participants in a Hawaiian-themed party or show.
Date: 1942/1945
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital]

Description: Photograph of Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital with a row of five young girls, including Sharon Ward (second from the front) and Elizabeth Ann Curry (third from the front), wearing drummer costumes and sitting on wooden chairs. They are holding drums decorated with cartoon characters on their laps. Champ Howell, a young boy wearing a similar costume, sits at the end of the row.
Date: 1946
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Treaty Oak]

Description: Photograph of Treaty Oak on Baylor Street between Fifth and Sixth Streets in Austin shows the approximately 450-year-old tree's twisting branches and trunk. A low stone wall surrounds the tree, and sun dapples the grass beneath the branches.
Date: May 1, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Negro War Recreation Council Headquarters building]

Description: Photograph of the Negro War Recreation Council Headquarters building, a concrete frame building located at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35) in the former city market, repurposed as a bus depot and recreation building for African American soldiers. The windows are 6/6 configuration, many of which are decoratively painted with stars, patriotic shields and the letter "V". The 5-panel double wooden entrance doors, at the center of the photograph, each have painted or decal flags on the second horizontal panel from the top. The sign above the doors reads: "HEADQUARTERS, SUB-BUS STATION, NEGRO WAR RECREATION COUNCIL". To the left of the doors sits a 1930s-era sedan, and to the left of that is a ground-mounted sign that reads: "SUB-BUS STATION for COLORED SOLDIERS". There is a large flag pole, without a flag, visible to the rear of photograph. A wooden bench sits in front of the right building bay. There are several suitcases on the bench, and an overcoat appears to be draped over some of them. The market building was originally constructed as a 1935 Public Works Administration (PWA) project, which opened in June 1935.
Date: January 6, 1944
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Interior view of the Negro War Recreation Council Building with 3 women and 3 Soldiers around a table]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Negro War Recreation Council Building, located at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35) in the former city market building, showing a group of African Americans, including 3 women and 3 soldiers in uniform. Four of the women and men are seated in couples at a table, while the remaining soldier is sitting on the table as the woman stands in front of it. All of the women are nicely dressed; one has a fur collar and hat, and one has flowers in her hair. The building, which also served as a bus depot, has several wooden benches, roughly constructed of lumber. Several of the windows to the rear of the photograph are decoratively painted with stars, patriotic shields and the letter "V". Three single glass globe pendant light fixtures are visible hanging from the open vaulted ceiling. The market building was originally constructed as a 1935 Public Works Administration (PWA) project, which opened in June 1935.
Date: January 6, 1944
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Group of African American women in the Negro War Recreation Council Building]

Description: Photograph of a group of African American women seated in a reading room at the Negro War Recreation Council Building and bus depot, located in the former city market building at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35). The group is seated in a "U" shape, facing a woman seated at a the head table. Books, a four-drawer card file, magazines, and a radio line the back wall. On the wall there is a war bond poster which reads: "Don't let that shadow touch them, Buy WAR BONDS", where the "shadow" is in the shape of a swastika and three children cower in its wake. There is a wall-mounted electric fan to the right of the war bond poster, and a fur coat hangs on a coat hook on the left window wall. A hand-made poster on a window at the back reads: "ATTENTION, Have you written a Letter home to-day? Writing facilities may be obtained at the information desk. Books and Magazines are available in the office for SERVICE MEN."
Date: January 6, 1944
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Boys making model airplanes at the Pan American Recreation Center in Austin]

Description: Photograph of a group of six Latino youth making balsa-wood airplanes from a Comet brand "Air-Age Educational Kit" at the Pan American Recreation Center (Pan American Community Center), 300 Comal Street, in Austin. The boys are working at two picnic tables placed end-to-end. Several other people, including a girl, two boys, a man and a woman, stand behind the table either observing or assisting. There is a Mexican tourism poster featuring a woman, with her hair in braids, holding a basket of fruit on the wall behind one of the tables.
Date: November 19, 1946
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory, City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Texas Longhorns of 1941 and Big Boy their Mascot

Description: Photograph of Texas Longhorns of 1941 and Big Boy, their mascot. The 1941 team was ranked no. 1 in the AP poll and declared NCAA National Champions. Their head coach was Dana X. Bible. They were not selected to play in the Rose Bowl, but they made the cover of Life magazine and are still considered one of the greatest Texas teams to this day.
Date: 1941
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Governor's Mansion behind trees and under snow]

Description: Photograph of Texas Governor's Mansion grounds with snow, trees, greenhouse visible, south and front elevation. Seen from West 10th and Colorado Streets. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and continuously occupied since 1856. The mansion was occupied by Governor W. Lee O'Daniel and his wife Molly in 1940 when this image was taken. The mansion was named a Texas historic landmark in 1962 and a National historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1940
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Dress fitting at Pan American Recreation Center]

Description: Photograph of a woman standing with her right arm lifted while a seamstress works on the waistline of her dress. More women are working on sewing machines or sewing by hand. Several women measure and cut fabric in the back. This sewing room was in the old Pan American Recreation Center at 3rd Street and Comal Street. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: November 19, 1946
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Power Lines at the Power Plant]

Description: Photograph of power lines on the river side of the Seaholm Power Plant.
Date: February 25, 1942
Creator: Boone's
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the Governor's Mansion taken from the front lawn.
Date: 1945
Creator: Boone Photo Co.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of a photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion taken around 1898 before additions were made to the mansion.
Date: November 1949
Creator: Studer's
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Governor's Mansion from grounds]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front and north elevations showing the grounds and a partial walkway, obscured by grass, bushes, and a flagpole. The upper porch is screened. The carriage house is visible behind the house. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1941 was Governor Coke R. Stevenson. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1941
Creator: Austin Bureau of Identification Laboratory
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion east elevation and walkway leading up to the front door. The walkway is lined with shrubs, and there are evergreens at each side of the entry stairs. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1941 was Governor Coke R. Stevenson. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1941
Creator: Austin Bureau of Identification Photo Lab
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion taken from 11th Street and Lavaca Street.
Date: 1940
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Beverly S. Sheffield at desk]

Description: Photograph of Beverly Sheffield sitting at his desk. He holds a fountain pen above some papers. Sheffield wears a short-sleeved, button-up shirt and has glasses. A phone sits at his left elbow. His desk sits near a wall with two windows and a radiator. His name plate reads "B. S. Sheffield."
Date: July 29, 1948
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Ausin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion east elevation and front entrance. Concrete steps leading up to a walkway flanked by potted plant urns. The upper porch is screened. Trees obscure the left side of the mansion. A swing hangs on the right (north) side of the porch. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: [1949..1959]
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Women sewing]

Description: Photograph of women sewing in a room in the old Pan American Recreation Center on 3rd and Comal Streets. Most women sit at sewing machines while four women crowd together on a bench and sew or embroider by hand. four women stand at a table in the back for cutting fabric A young boy of a bout five sits on footrest in the foreground. There is Mexican art on the walls and the only door to the room is open. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: November 20, 1946
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library