Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - 62 Matching Results

Search Results

[Frank Albrecht in an equipment closet at the Austin Recreation Center]

Description: Photograph of Franch Albrecht putting a volleyball onto a top shelf in an activities closet at the Austin Athletic Club (renamed Austin Recreation Center in 1970). Various other items for activities are on the shelves such as checkers and ping-pong balls, as well as other supplies such as water sprinklers, paint, and electrical supplies. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: 1955
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Frank Albrecht cleaning out Austin Athletic Club]

Description: Photograph of Frank Albrecht looking through a trash can of sporting equipment at the Austin Athletic Club. Large light fixtures, boxes, equipment bags, and other debrs is piled around him. A vending machine is visible on the left behind the open glass sliding doors. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: 1955
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Pan American Recreation Center's Skating Class

Description: Photograph of the Pan American Recreation Center's skating class in the Zavala Gym. A line of seven boys, aged 9 through 12 hold on to each other's shirts while skating in a line through the gym. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: March 30, 1959
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Governor's Mansion Sam Houston Room

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Governor's Mansion showing the Sam Houston Room, with the fireplace, portrait of Houston, an armchair, and a war drum serving as a side table. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant during this time in 1958 was Democratic Governor Price Daniel. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1958
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Pan American Recreation Center, exterior, at opening]

Description: Photograph of the exterior rear of the Pan American Recreation Center at the opening on 2100 East 3rd Street. The ground is not yet seeded and playground equipment is visible behind a fence in the right. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: September 1956
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Opening of the Pan American Recreation Center

Description: Photograph of the interior of the basketball court in the gymnasium at the opening of Pan American Recreation Center at 2100 East 3rd Street. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: September 1956
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Seaholm Power Plant Steam Turbines

Description: Photograph of the interior of Austin's Seaholm Power Plant. Caption reads "Looking west, L-R: steam turbines, generators, exciters; front to back: 20,000 kilowatt generators; 20,000 kilowatt generators; 20,000 kilowatt generators; 40,000 kilowatt generators." Though the caption indicates this is looking west, the placement of the windows suggests this is actually looking east.
Date: [1951, 1955]
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Domestic Science Senior Cooking Class, Austin High School, 1908

Description: Photograph of the 1908 domestic science senior cooking class at Austin High School. Bottom row (left to right): Annie Lou Puckett, Lily Ecklund, Lora Turner, Fannie Walker, Rosa Maas. Middle row (left to right): Katie Clark, Nettie B. Sullivan, Adele Barbisch, Clara Stovall, Alice Ramsdell, Lomie Layton. Top row (left to row): Miss Bell (teacher from Denton), Inez Slaughter, Nona Lewis, Janie Tannehill, Bessie Enlow, Mabel Maud, May Belle Robbins, Bessie Pate, Emma Seeker and Salome Anthony. Photo gift of Mrs. Mabel Maud Huckaby.
Date: January 7, 1956
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Saint David's Episcopal Church

Description: Photograph of Saint David's Episcopal Church Austin, Texas as seen from the intersection of 7th Street and San Jacinto looking north east. The photograph also features a 1950 Mercury station wagon and a 1955 Ford Fairlane. A handwritten note on the back reads "Saint David's Episcopal Church, Oldest Protestant Church in Austin."
Date: May 1955
Creator: Studer
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Laguna Gloria]

Description: Photograph of the exterior of the historic Laguna Gloria building. It is partially obscured by palmettos and other foliage. The building is now part of the Contemporary Austin art museum.
Date: October 1952
Creator: Studer
Location Info:
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Men at Seaholm Power Plant]

Description: Photograph of two men wearing white shirts, ties and slacks in a machine room at Seaholm Power Plant. The man on the left is Mr. Seaholm. He has his hands on a crank on a machine labeled "Westinghouse."
Date: June 30, 1951
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Opening of Pan American Recreation Center

Description: Photograph of the side of the newly built Pan American Recreation Center at 2100 East 3rd Street. Swing sets are behind the building. The previous Pan Am Rec Center existed at 3rd and Comal Streets. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: September 1956
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Pan American Recreation Center Boxing Room

Description: Photograph of one side of the Pan-Am Rec Center Boxing Room. Boxers and trainers exercise by stretching, shadowboxing, and beating punching bags. The sparring ring is visible in the foregrond. Jackets hang on hooks on the left. Clock on the back wall reads about 6:50. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: January 28, 1959
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library